Preferred Rifle Carry System

tomengineer

I’ve got a MR Metcalf pack which has a built in set of straps and a pocket for rifle carry. I have seen hunters use a system that has the rifle come under your armpit. Just wondering if anyone has the pros/cons of these different systems or other methods. I also see MR has a quick release rifle along but it does not get positive reviews from what I’ve seen.

I run a Kifaru upper on my Stone Glacier while using the lower from my Stone Glacier for the rifle holder. Seems to work a bit easier than the Stone Glacier quick release.

I also have two MR packs and loved the design of the Kifaru Gun Bear....but wanted to minimize the cost of outfitting each pack with a gun bearer. So I made my own custom rifle carriers that are modeled after the Kifaru Gun Bearer. I purchased the top "strap/clips" directly from Kifaru because their system is so well made. These "strap/clips" hold the rifle to your shoulder strap securely and also allow you to quickly deploy your rifle. For the bottom unit that holds the butt of the rifle, I used new (unused) safety harness belt material to sew my holder. I used heavy monofilament fishing line as my thread and hand-sewed the unit. Altogether, I made four of them including one for a friend. They work well and add to the satisfaction of using my gear. Please see the attached photos and PM me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.20190415_104812[1].jpg20190415_104703[1].jpg

Here is a more thorough explanation of how I made my custom gun bearer...from a Rokslide thread. Again, hope this helps.

Last edited:
I also have the kifaru gun bearer, I like the idea of it but the two times I've used it my rifle wants to twist to where the scope is facing forward. I'm guessing this is more user error than a design flaw.

I have the kifaru and I do like it but it slips down a lot. I may not have it strapped properly. Also get some chaffing on the pack fabric from the velcro. I just put an old sock around it for protection.

Here is a more thorough explanation of how I made my custom gun bearer...from a Rokslide thread. Again, hope this helps.

Wow that is awesome. Did you use the upper clasp attachment pieces to make the cup where the rifle butt goes?

Edit: Never mind I read your previous post, was just going off the Rokslide post. Very cool.

I have used the Kifaru gun bearer and Stone Glacier pack sling both extensively. Neither are perfect, both are great tools though...some pros and cons for me:

Kifaru Gun Bearer:
Pros = Slightly quicker access. No issues with larger AICS type mags
Cons = When crawling around off trail if you throw your leg up over a log it will occasionally drive the side of the barrel into your face. At night with a headlamp the barrel catches the light and the glare is really annoying a couple inches from your eyes. When I'm using the gun bearer I take my rifle out of it and strap to the pack when hiking at night, which is fine, but I still consider it a con. Depending on your rifle weight and how it sits in the sling, it can pull the hipbelt down in an uncomfortable way with the GB. When it was my primary carrying system I'd have to carry a spare upper part because at least once a season it would fall apart or get ripped off.

SG gun strap:
Pros = Lower profile. Keeps the rifle completely out of the way for scrambling, and out of view. Quick enough for me. The weight of the rifle is largely hanging on the pack so it's distributed across the hipbelt better.
Cons = It's a little slower to deploy and get rifle back into. With a 5 rd AICS mag you have to have it set up far enough back on the pack otherwise it will dig into the back of your arm--on some pack set-ups it's not really possible, though I've made it work for me.

Overall I prefer the Stone Glacier sling, but it'll depend a little on what pack you use it on. I don't carry a traditional sling anymore probably 90% of the time; it's either in the pack sling, in my hands, or occasionally strapped to the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
tomengineer, for clarification, I used the upper clasp attachment I purchased from Kifaru on the shoulder strap. I custom made the bottom webbing carrier for the buttstock of the rifle and tethered it to both the hip belt and the bottom portion of my pack. The bottom carrier was made from "new" unused deer stand safety harnesses I had laying around. Strong material, earth-tone colors and they were stiff enough to hold their shape for easy "in and out" of the rifle. Hope this helps.

I should add that both the Kifaru and SG have failed, sort of. The Kifaru upper has been torn off and come unsewed many times as I mentioned. The only time the SG strap "failed" was after jogging/aggressively-waddling downhill for about 5 miles with 115# on a backpack hunt where I was trying to make sure I got to my car before a wildfire did. Normally I would've stopped to check the load but I was in too big of a hurry, not really the strap's fault.

So would you go with a more traditional pack mount system? Or has the ability to get the rifle into position without removing your pack been helpful? Thanks for the feedback on the two systems.

I use this setup on my packs waist belt and it’s been super solid. Use my sternum strap around my sling then buckled to keep the top stable but will make a better loop strap now seeing some above posts.

Back