Predator Hunting Question

WyoDoug

I am curious how it is in other states, but in Wyoming you can hunt predators at night with use of artificial light IF you are on private property and have written permission of the landowner as long as you do not shoot onto public or adjoining private property that you do not have permission for. These are covered in Wyoming Title 23, section 306.

Not really asking what the brochures say because in Colorado and I think Wyoming brochures are informative and you still have a responsibility to obey the statute itself. I got cited way back in the 90s when I lived on Colorado where the fishing brochure misstated limits on fish I caught. That got dismissed in court but the hassle of brochure says you can but statute or the actual regulation says no you can't. So my question is what does the statutes and actual regs say on this question for other states than Wyoming.

I am just curious how widely this varies from state to state.

In NV it depends on the county. Some are completely unregulated, some have outlawed shooting at night all together. 1 or 2 outlawed using a spot within a certain distance of a vehicle while in possession of a firearm.

There are residential, dwelling, and incorporated regulations as well.

Coyotes are open for night hunting in washington except during modern firearm deer and elk seasons. Bobcats are too, but recently they outlawed night hunting for bobcats in several units because one guy shot a lynx at night on accident. One screwup that would likely never happen again caused a knee jerk reaction. Cant hunt lions at night since theyre classified as big game, and cant hunt wolves period because wdfw sucks.

Montana anything goes for coyotes.
Night E calls spotlights, thermal night vision suppressers public lands. Anytime of year.
There are a few exceptions like the CMR and a few other places.
You CAN do it during Big game season but I can tell you if your out "Shining" for coyotes you WILL get a visit from a sheriff or FWP guy.

In UT, it’s illegal at the state level, but the statute provides that counties can overrule it and allow it so long as they write specific regs for it. Not sure which counties have have chosen to do it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back