PEAX Equipment

Precision Armament Hypertap muzzle brake

William Christy

I'm in the wait period for a suppressor and want to do a lot of longer shooting, without having to have friends along to "spot" hits/misses, etc. Trying to suck all the jump out of my 6.5prc as I can. As much as I know I'm going to hate the noise, I always shoot with earing protection. Thinking about buying one of these. Anybody used one, or have a different/better suggestion?

80+% claim in recoil reductions is pretty crazy.

I'd stick with known brakes that have been tested and rated by an independent third party. 84% reduction sounds a bit too incredible . The only two I've used that are extremely effective were the ZRO Delta (Alamo Four Star) and APA.
I believe ZRO DELTA has been bought out by Masterpiece Arms

I've used other Precision Armament brakes, the Severe Duty- The rifle didn't even wiggle. Weird to shoot. The concussion was so bad though I had to take it off.
From what I'm reading, this one might be that and more. I'm sure it won't be something I'll want to use all the time, but some times.

That all adds up. Is there any vertical rise left? I hadn’t seen that brake prior but it looks like a decent design. My favorite part about the latest generation of brakes is the ports on top that can eliminate rise, they really assist in spotting shots.

Fwiw, when using a brake, I typically double up ear pro when at the range, and wouldn’t fire a single round without decent ear pro unless there was a real threat involved.

Definitely diminished recoil, increased concussion and noise. Brought my point of impact down 3” at 200m. Definitely didn’t hurt accuracy.
I’m running a gen 2 apa lil bastard on the kids 6.5 prc and can spot my impacts no problem. Put my suppressor on (nomad 30) and the recoil increased noticeably. I put the brake back on.

Last edited:
Use both ear plugs and muffs. You'll still have the plugs in when you forget to put the muffs back on after checking a target or talking to someone. Radians custom moldable are cheap and very comfortable.

3rd or 4th for doubling up on ear pro with brakes. A good set of electronic muffs over foam plugs and you can still communicate and hear stuff but the intensity of shots is greatly reduced.

Is there any vertical rise left? My favorite part about the latest generation of brakes is the ports on top that can eliminate rise, they really assist in spotting shots.
Some, but not much. I was shooting prone over a bag and hardly hanging onto the rifle at all. I'll do some more shooting farther out and pay more attention. The brake has the ports to drill out, and I suppose if it helps, I'll try that.

Some, but not much. I was shooting prone over a bag and hardly hanging onto the rifle at all. I'll do some more shooting farther out and pay more attention. The brake has the ports to drill out, and I suppose if it helps, I'll try that.

When I tried my first brake with open ports on top, it was a big enough difference I switched all of them. If you’re interested, you can borrow one of mine to test that has open ports on top, just a few rounds would probably give you an idea if you want to bother with drilling yours. Shooting father spotting should get easier, with any system, so maybe you won’t feel it needs to be any better.

Can confirm this is a BAD idea…

I’ve done it 2-3x knowingly years ago before I knew what I know now about hearing damage. I did it once recently on accident, kicking myself hard for that one, it definitely notched my tinnitus up a level.

I shot again today and cannot tell if doing anything to the brake (drilling the upper ports) would make it better. I can basically shoot the rifle without holding at all without much movement. Recoil is pretty much gone. I took 3 shots seated over shooting sticks at 810 to how well I could spot my bullet strikes through the scope, without a prone rest and rear bag. No troubles with that. First one was about a foot left and low, 8 o’clock. Second shot the same, I adjusted my turret 5 clicks up and 5 right, 3 shot hit the rock dead center. All is good, but I’ve yet to shoot without ear muffs. When it shoot it’s like a dull thud sound with a puff of air in the face.

Back