MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Brake and/or Suppressors

I'm the opposite. No suppressor or brake for me. Especially a suppressor. No way one goes on a hunting rifle. Yes, I've shot rifles with them. And, I shoot heavy recoiling rifles. Lord willing, I stay unbraked or suppressed. mtmuley

Same here...decibel level aside, I can't reconcile their function with form. Petty but true.

Last edited:
The guys that say, "My hearing is already gone, so too late for me." That is crazy talk! That's like saying, well, my back is already screwed up so I may as well just keep lifting heavy stuff. If you have any hearing left, then it CAN get worse and will get worse if you don't protect what you have.

Suppressors are legal for hunting in some States, but not all. I used one last year on my deer in CO. Once you get used to the new balance of your rifle you won't even notice it.

I've had brakes installed, i've used "silencers" at the range.
My experience thus far, i like brakes on hunting rifles. I've found that i'm more accurate at the range with a break on 30-06, and 7mm Rem Mag.
With the reduction of recoil, i shoot them more, hence becoming more proficient.

Silencers are a cool item at the range, but i don't care for the added weight, and "new balance" in the field.

Hearing protection is a mandatory when i pull out a long gun. Even turkey hunting, much to my neighbors chagrin.
At the range with my pistols, hearing protection is mandatory for me. Carrying is a horse of a different color.

I'll probably never shoot a rifle without a suppressor again.

I doubt I'll ever hunt again without a suppressed rifle. While I will always use electronic earmuffs and ear plugs at the range, hunting big game is entirely different. I generally hunt elk in heavy timber where most of my kills are under 70 yards. Keen hearing is important in finding game in the forest. When I encounter an elk, in about 3 years out of 4, I don't have time to put in earplugs if I want to take the shot. Fast accurate shooting is key to my taking elk almost every year.

The sound reduction using a suppressor is roughly equivalent to using electronic earmuffs. The primary purpose of using a suppressor is sound reduction for the shooter and anyone nearby. Reduced recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle rise are bonuses. The difference in all those factors is dramatic. Personally, I think that using a naked brake on a hunting rifle is nuts. It makes more sense to choose a caliber of lighter recoil. If the shot is good modern bullets in a 6.5CM or 7mm-08 can kill elk or moose just as sure as a magnum round without the pounding blast and noise.

The tech and tools of hunters continues to advance and the acceptance of suppressors is growing enormously. I understand some of the resistance to suppressors. There is the extra length, weight, balance and appearance issues as well as cost. A high power rifle suppressor goes for ~$550-$1000 here. I paid $952 out the door for my Omega 300 which included the $200 federal tax stamp. Significant, but in perspective with things like quality optics, GPS, range finders, etc., it's just another piece of gear.

A traditional rifle with a 24 or 26 inch barrel becomes more cumbersome with an added 6-9 inches and a pound of weight on the muzzle. While most rifles will shoot more accurately with optimal/longer barrels, shorter barrels can be fine for big game at longer distances. I think the issues of rifle length and balance are solved by pairing a suppressor with a lighter, shorter barrelled rifle. I have friends who recently bought .308's in a 20" Savage, and an 18" Ruger American specifically because they come with threaded barrels for suppressed hunting. With the Kimber Adirondack 7mm-08 and 18" barrel I aimed to build a light timber rifle that allows for quick shots. With the suppressor it's an inch shorter than my old Winchester .30-06, and more than 2 lbs. lighter. Dramatically quieter and softer shooting, that's progress, fellas.

Here's a couple photos and some interesting videos. Note the Omega 300 I'm using has the ASR brake which allows a quick 5 second disconnect to move the suppressor to other rifles.

Kimber-Adirondack-7mm-08-su.jpgOmega-300-ASR-brake.jpg

I doubt I'll ever hunt again without a suppressed rifle. While I will always use electronic earmuffs and ear plugs at the range, hunting big game is entirely different. I generally hunt elk in heavy timber where most of my kills are under 70 yards. Keen hearing is important in finding game in the forest. When I encounter an elk, in about 3 years out of 4, I don't have time to put in earplugs if I want to take the shot. Fast accurate shooting is key to my taking elk almost every year.

The sound reduction using a suppressor is roughly equivalent to using electronic earmuffs. The primary purpose of using a suppressor is sound reduction for the shooter and anyone nearby. Reduced recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle rise are bonuses. The difference in all those factors is dramatic. Personally, I think that using a naked brake on a hunting rifle is nuts. It makes more sense to choose a caliber of lighter recoil. If the shot is good modern bullets in a 6.5CM or 7mm-08 can kill elk or moose just as sure as a magnum round without the pounding blast and noise.

The tech and tools of hunters continues to advance and the acceptance of suppressors is growing enormously. I understand some of the resistance to suppressors. There is the extra length, weight, balance and appearance issues as well as cost. A high power rifle suppressor goes for ~$550-$1000 here. I paid $952 out the door for my Omega 300 which included the $200 federal tax stamp. Significant, but in perspective with things like quality optics, GPS, range finders, etc., it's just another piece of gear.

A traditional rifle with a 24 or 26 inch barrel becomes more cumbersome with an added 6-9 inches and a pound of weight on the muzzle. While most rifles will shoot more accurately with optimal/longer barrels, shorter barrels can be fine for big game at longer distances. I think the issues of rifle length and balance are solved by pairing a suppressor with a lighter, shorter barrelled rifle. I have friends who recently bought .308's in a 20" Savage, and an 18" Ruger American specifically because they come with threaded barrels for suppressed hunting. With the Kimber Adirondack 7mm-08 and 18" barrel I aimed to build a light timber rifle that allows for quick shots. With the suppressor it's an inch shorter than my old Winchester .30-06, and more than 2 lbs. lighter. Dramatically quieter and softer shooting, that's progress, fellas.

Here's a couple photos and some interesting videos. Note the Omega 300 I'm using has the ASR brake which allows a quick 5 second disconnect to move the suppressor to other rifles.

Excellent information and explanation. thank you

I will say after shooting my 300 mag with 200gr ammo suppressed i will not go back. The recoil was never bad with a brake but way more fun with the suppressor. Recoil was like my 6.5 creed, i will be shooting suppressed in the near future.

I hunted for 20 years with no significant hearing loss. A year after hunting with a brake, hearing significantly decreased,

A cautionary note about anecdotal evidence such as this: significant hearing loss can occur before we notice it. It's very likely in this situation that it had progressed, but the braked 338 certainly didn't do any favors.

My two Abes (which is all I can afford) are that I am intrigued by the idea of a suppressor, but will not be pursuing one - mainly for cost/benefit purposes. In a perfect world, a suppressor would come standard on all rifles, which would be designed to balance with the additional forward weight, and there would be no ATF hoops or fees. Alas...

Like many hunters, my rifle shooting volume pales in comparison to my shotgunning. And while I always wear protection on range days and for upland game, I've yet to find a good solution while water-fowling. That's a lot of shooting, sometime in a confined metal box, and cannot be good long term.

I don't see the need for a brake, I shot close to 40 rounds in one range setting through my 300 Win and recoil wasn't a problem. I would consider a suppressor but the barrel is 26" already and I'm not interested in making the gun any longer.

I don’t understand the need for brakes or suppressors. If you can’t handle the recoil then step down in caliber. Another option is to stalk in for closer shots. Even if recoil affects your shooting, you should be able to put a kill shot on an elk sized or larger animal within 100 yds without a brake or suppressor.

And I think Europe would agree with me, please don’t ever put one of those things on a 375 or larger caliber :) it would be similar to putting a man bun on, well, a man.

Suppressors are nice in a hunting situation.

Need to make a quick shot and can't throw in ear pro, then it is a lot less damaging than a regular rifle or a brake.

If you miss the first shot, then the animal has no idea where the sound came from and may pause to give you another shot.

I would still recommend wearing HP with a suppressor, but it minimizes the risk of hearing loss from firearms.

(Note: sound intensity doubles every 3 db)

Fire arms without brake: 140-190 db

Fire arms with muzzle brake: +5-15 db

Fire arms with a suppressor: -15-45 db

Say your rifle is 165 db without a brake.

With a break you would be 170-190 db

With a suppressor you would be 120-150 db

With 140 db being the OSHA limit for instantaneous noise

I have seen a lot of people with hearing loss and it is not fun for them.

People with high frequency hearing loss have trouble distinguishing sounds of F, TH, S, and K.

Examples would be:

* This - You would not be able to distinguish the TH and S sound. It will sound like muttled I word. thsjsn...'I'...hsias

*House - You not be able to distinguish the S at the end. You could try to guess what the word is How's, Howa, etc

*First - You have difficulty being able to distinguish the f and st sounds. There are a lot of different words with an 'er' sound in the middle of it.

*Nice - You would not be able to distinguish the end of the word. It would sound like NI....ahdafhsdf

There are a bunch of words that you may be able to hear now, that you may lose later if you do not protect your ears.

A suppressor is an excellent tool, but like I said I would still wear HP with them when possible.

I would already have a suppressor but they cost more than a new rifle and take months to process paperwork - unless something has changed since I last checked. Legal to hunt with in AZ.

After an experience this past fall with my boys and noise, I am very, very interested in getting into suppressed rifles. Just wish the red tape wasn't so onerous, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I bought my first suppressor last year and really didnt feel the paperwork was that bad. I did one of the silencer shop kiosks and it worked great. It did take forever (8 months) to get it approved but otherwise very happy I went down that path. It does cost as much if not more than several of my guns have but at least I can move it around from gun to gun as needed. I got it because I prefer to not wear ear pro when hunting so I can hear better and I've never liked the electronic sound most of the enhanced ear muffs have. I still wear ear pro with it at the range as its still louder than I prefer but definitely cuts the level to a comfortable balloon pop level when hunting.

Also I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil reduction. I shoot a tikka t3 lite in 30-06 that had a hard kick before I added a limbsaver recoil pad. With the limbsaver, its more of a noticeable shove. Now with a suppressor, its closer to 223 and almost as light as my 22lr. That may sound like an exaggeration but I honestly cant tell the difference between the felt recoil of each now.

I'm in the process of building one now. I can do a write up if some guys are interested. Using a titanium solvent trap kit. I'm in it just over $300 for the titanium and $200 for the tax stamp, and a two week wait vs. a 250-300 day wait. I had my Efile form 1 back in 14 days.

Just got it laser engraved yesterday, should be drilling the cones out hopefully this weekend.

I'm in the process of building one now. I can do a write up if some guys are interested. Using a titanium solvent trap kit. I'm in it just over $300 for the titanium and $200 for the tax stamp, and a two week wait vs. a 250-300 day wait. I had my Efile form 1 back in 14 days.

Just got it laser engraved yesterday, should be drilling the cones out hopefully this weekend.
I would be interested in learning about your build process.

I hate shooting next to anyone with a brake. I bought a suppressor a year ago. I'm a believer, imo all guns should be sold with a suppressor included. I hunt open country and the added length is not a hindrance. No complaints about the extra 60 fps, tighter groups, or spotting impacts from my 6.5x55 either. Prob not going to thread my 338wm but I have my eye on a T3X 7mag that will definitely be wearing a can. Tinitus sucks, wish I had a suppressor 25 years ago.

No brakes on any of my guns. I agree that if your recoil shoot a smaller caliber. You may be a 6.5 candidate.
As far as suppressor I can see if you shoot a lot or at a range perhaps. But if you think they should be on an elk gun, I’ll take you elk hunting. I took my buddy from the Midwest on his first elk hunt. After the first day of packing the extra length, bulk up hill, down hill and hitting it on every tree he went under he quit carrying it. Next year he bought a new rifle without one.
Soon we’ll have suppressors and brakes on .22’s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back