MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

"Pozcast" - Podcast Episode #9

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Hope all of you are finding time to listen to these podcast episodes. Tonight we launch Episode #9 with a good friend of mine, Jim Posewitz, founder of Orion the Hunters Institute, author, noted speaker, and expert on the hunting history of America.

I think you will like this one. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to get to some of Jim's best stories, even though these ones are pretty darn good. All the more reason to have another fireside chat with "Poz."

Thanks, Jim. Not only for this time, but for all you have done on behalf of wildlife, the lands we cherish, and the hunting we love.

Always informative... You keep bringing conservationists on and ill be broke from supporting them!

This podcast is really hitting its stride.

There may be a Montana bias here, but getting to hear Jim Posewitz have a recorded discussion is a piece of history. I think he may go down as one of Hunting's most influential representatives ever.

The Scapegoat Wilderness story is something else. Cecil Garland's story is one of the most underappreciated in the history of conservation and public lands. My wife's grandmother lived in Lincoln her whole life and hearing some of the chit he had to deal with adds to the reverence his story deserves.

From the story about the fight for the Yellowstone, to the really great high fence discussion, to the days when Posewitz worked for the FWP and FWP would battle the political system, because, as he said, "Your job was to do what's best for wildlife. They don't get to vote." It's a beautiful way for things to function, and it's sad they no longer work that way.

Such a killer podcast Randy. Thank you.

Just listened to it this morning! Thoroughly enjoyed it. As a huge fan of "The Great One" (Teddy Roosevelt) I really enjoyed his narration of how he did so much for conservation. The visual of he and Gifford Pinchot boxing in the mansion is great!!!

Excellent work as always! Keep it up!

Side note: If anyone is interested in further reading on the Teddy Roosevelt/Gifford Pinchot era and their impact on conservation they should check out "The Big Burn" (Timothy Egan, 2009). It is an excellent read. The audiobook is awesome as well, narrated by Robertson Dean. I had the totally coincidental pleasure of listen to it as I drove between Missoula and Seattle and was able to be in Wallace, Idaho during narration of Wallace. It was special.

Last edited:
I'm mid way through the podcast now. They're perfect length for me to listen to half to work, and half on the way home.

I really appreciate you and Jim breaking down and calling bullshit on the 'dividing hunters' argument. That always has rubbed me the wrong way when someone plays that card, but I've never been able to put in words why.

Looking forward to the second half of it!

I feel like if you outline each topic of the pozcast, it's essentially the perfect outline to flesh out a book on the history of American conservation...#hinthint :)

Another great podcast. Thank you Randy for being such a great hunter and voice for hunters with the platform you have. thanks for standing up for public lands and the average joe. As hunters we don't stand up near enough and definitely not loud enough for all the privledges we enjoy. It's good to have someone like you out there who doesn't BS around with the games. If we as a group stood up and made some noise we would make our future so much more bright. And if in some fashion we could come to common ground with more environmental groups on some issues we would be a real force.

Another good podcast Randy- thanks for doing them. I definitely learn a lot, especially as a New Englander who dreams about the west. Knowing all those lands are out there, and how they got there, really piques my interest. The education regarding the political back drops is also interesting and, as history repeats itself, probably more applicable than we would like.

Across most of the podcasts there is reference to doing more for conservation, and occasionally someone like Janis or Dan seems to ask the question, but I don't feel like it gets answered to the depth that perhaps those of us who are of an age (mid-30s to mid-40s) and are interested really need.

What should we do and how should we do it?

Is it simply supporting groups financially? If so, which ones? What is the biggest bang for our buck?
Should we write/call politicians? If so, what should we say and how best do we say it? What is the best use of my limited time with this?
Should I contact my fish and game folks, Natural resource people? Maybe write to papers, hold protests, do volunteer work?

I realize there is an individual nature to getting involved, but how can we avoid any mistakes Randy N, and others, might have made along the way to become an effective champion of our wild lands. Dumb it down, really dumb, and educate me. Thanks,

-Matt

Another good podcast Randy- thanks for doing them. I definitely learn a lot, especially as a New Englander who dreams about the west. Knowing all those lands are out there, and how they got there, really piques my interest. The education regarding the political back drops is also interesting and, as history repeats itself, probably more applicable than we would like.

I would echo that as an 'Old Englander' myself i have learnt a lot.

Cheers

Richard

Keep it up Randy. Each podcast has shared some valuable and entertaining info. Poz sets a great example that will hopefully inspire all of us to contribute a little more towards the future of hunting and conservation.

Amazon links to Jim's books we mentioned in the Podcast:

Beyond Fair Chase

Inherit the Hunt

Rifle in Hand
In 2013 I wrote a LTE detailing several anti-hunting bills being pushed by one party of the MT legislature. A few days later I got a hand written letter from Mr. Posewitz about the history of the robber barrons and he enclosed a copy of his book Taking a Bullet for Conservation. It's a good quick read and the book will always be a reminder to me that some people care.

Great podcast.

Hey there Randy and company.

I was able to listen to all your podcasts while driving to and from my deer hunt in southern AZ. The hunt was unsuccessful but I enjoyed every episode especially this one. Please keep them coming.

Inspiration in the flesh

Listening to Jim discuss the history of hunter conservationists was really inspiring Randy. Thanks for another great episode.

Back