Caribou Gear

Powerbelts or Sabots?

gwhunter

So I pulled the trigger on the new .50 cal. Cheaper than dirt had it the cheapest and they are gonna ship it to me. My question is this: Should I stick with the powerbelts or get sabots? Obviously powerbelts are more expensive but from what I’ve read, they don’t deposit the plastic from the sabot, thus requiring a cleaning in between each shot. Is this truly the case? Do you have to clean in between each shot when using sabots because the plastic sabots foul the barrel too much? You can find bullets w/ sabots for around .50 cents apiece and the closest you’re gonna find powerbelts is around $1 apiece. Thoughts?

I assume it is an inline. If you compare the two, I think you'll find sabots to be the superior option. There may be some plastic fouling but I don't think that you'd have to clean after every round. You don't hear the big muzzleloader shooters mention it as a big problem. They make solvents to get the bore really clean and I suggest using one after every shooting session. The type of powder you use may have a great effect on fouling (as some tend to be cleaner) than the plastic.

Thanks for the input. I had a cheapo .45 cva that I loved and shot awesome groups out to 150 yards. But it was stolen 2 years ago along with a lot of my other hunting stuff. So, I'm slowly replacing all my stuff. I got the accura v2 in .50 only because they stopped production of the .45. But either way I'm trying to figure out others opinions on the powerbelts vs. something else. I'll probably be shooting the preformed pellets, either triple 7 or whitehots (if I can find them) along with standard 209 primers unless I switch to buckhorn.

Anyone tried the Hornady FPB? The Hornady website is showing some staggering results for that bullet compared to the powerbelts.

Modern sabots don't leave plastic in the bore. It's an old myth that won't die, and is pushed by Powerbelt and CVA.

If you plan on using any of the pellets you'll need to swab between shots to get rid of the crud ring.

Powerbelts have poor terminal performance sometimes, and are way over priced for a lead bullet.

Try the PT Gold bullets made sold by Harvester. You can by them in bulk of 50 with the sabots for around $30.

I have to agree, i think its a myth. . .either way, clean the barrel every 3rd or 4th shot just to keep it good.

The early sabots did leave plastic in the bore, and that's how it got started. They've come a long way in plastic formulas since then, and it's a non issue now.

No Excuses bullets for me. Big ol chunk of lead that makes a big ol hole... And they shoot pretty darn accurate too, and dirt cheap.

For deer I don't think it really matters what kind of bullet you shoot, they're just not that hard to kill.

What kind of muzz did you pick up?

What kind of muzz did you pick up?

I got a CVA Accura V2 .50 with the thumbhole stock and the Nitride finish barrel. I tried to get one in .45 since my first muzzleloader (since stolen) was .45 and I just had a predisposition for that caliber. It was posted on their website but I couldn't find it anywhere. I called them up and they told me they stopped production. Go figure.

Either way I'm pretty excited about it. I'll let you know how it shoots once I figure out a good load/bullet combo. I was shooting 1" groups with the old $100 shrink-wrapped .45 so I'm hoping this new Bergara barrel lives up to my previous gun.

Another no excuses 460gr fan here. Very accurate and you never have to worry about bullet performance.

I will add my dad has had great accuracy with the 300gr pt golds elkstalker mentioned.

One last comment - make sure you check your state's regulations. I know some state's have restrictions on using sabots.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning to use this as my deer gun in Michigan and Indiana.

Back