MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Powder Scales

F

fwagner

Anyone have any suggestions for some quality powder scales that are accurate and affordable? Im using Black Horn 209 powder, if that matters.

My vintage (45+ yrs) RCBS balance scale can detect individual powder granuales. Scaled to 1/100th of a grain. Works for me.

See my post on your other thread. Volume vs. Weight can matter with black powder and BP subs.

Unless you are loading substitute Black Powder in a cartridge like 45-70 and the like, loads that go into muzzleloaders are by volume. If you are loading into cartridges then any of the standard beam scales will work...except I'd stay away from the Lee Saf-t scale.

BH 209 is a black powder substitute. You need to measure by volume, not weight.

A 505 scale is a good piece of equipment.

Just like other s have said for weight I have used a RCBS 505 for years, I use a Lyman digital scale and dispenser but I even spot check it with my 505.

Now for BP volume measuring including BH209 which I use in my inline I use one of these.
bppowdermeasurer_zps4c8da0d9.jpg

This one is a Ted Cash 120 grain model

You just adjust the sliding bar to grain volume you want and dispense from your horn or whatever. Works great!

Just like other s have said for weight I have used a RCBS 505 for years, I use a Lyman digital scale and dispenser but I even spot check it with my 505.

That's about how I do things. I use an RCBS Digital scale set 1/2 grain light, then transfer to RCBS 505 for the final 1/2 grain. It seems significantly more accurate without taking too much extra time.

Southwind - I've got two of those that I use for BP reloading and they work slicker than owl snot.

Just wish I could get one that goes up to 150 grains instead of 120.

BL,That is the way to go. I did see one somewhere that was a 150-300 grain but didn't have the funnel at the end.

The way I lose things I should buy another.

I'm always amazed at how accurate the beam balances are. I have a 5 place Mettler balance (de-commissioned from a chemistry lab I used to work at). I really thought it was going to be the cats-meow for loading. The beam balance is more accurate (I picked it up at a garage sale for 10 dollars).

I get it close with the digital, and then finish with the beam balance.

Or, if I am in a hurry - just use the Lee powder scoops to get close and finish with the beam balance / trickler.

If I'm in a hurry and working with a known load, I just throw charges with my Redding powder measure. I check every 10th round to make sure it's still close. Takes a bit of time getting it set up, but once set it is way faster. I generally only use it for my 223 as I don't load huge batches up of the larger cartridges.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back