Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Post-hunt Rituals

There are a couple of traditions in Europe that exist but I don't partake, the last bite, placing some grass in the deer's mouth after it has died, blooding the face of the person who has shot the deer.
For me it's a cold beer or anything with alcohol really!
Cheers
Richard

First and foremost is to touch the animal and thank it for feeding my family. Often I find myself with tears in my eyes as I quietly speak to one of God's creatures that will sustain us in the coming months.

No ritual per se...

But my father relishes fixing liver and onions that night. I humor him but really prefer heart.

i'm too new to hunting to have really developed much in the way of successful hunt rituals

there have been some commonalities each of my three seasons though, such things as a fat dip of copenhagen, a trip to wendy's, then more dip while trying to stay awake on the rest of the drive home, then two nights or so of staying up till 1 am butchering and wrapping the thing in the kitchen while my wife - who is too amazing of a woman to let her happiness for me be overcome by her unhappiness about what is going on in kitchen - looks on

When our family would hunt the frank church my dad would let out a Tarzan yell once we made it to our deer. I have no idea when or why that tradition was started but I plan on passing it down once my son is of age. For whatever reason that was the only place I heard him do it. Scared the hell out of me the first time he did it...

When our family would hunt the frank church my dad would let out a Tarzan yell once we made it to our deer. I have no idea when or why that tradition was started but I plan on passing it down once my son is of age. For whatever reason that was the only place I heard him do it. Scared the hell out of me the first time he did it...
Scares off the Bears!

Tarzan%2Band%2Bthe%2BNandi%2BBear%2Bcomic.jpg

The deer hunting camp I hunted out of during my first two years and it was almost the same for us. The Flintstones - "Yebba Debba Dooo" at the top of our lung capacity!
Now it is much quieter. I have the guys addicted to thinly sliced heart fried in butter with a little salt and pepper if the heart was not destroyed by the shooter.

My buddies and I debate about whether this packout was worse than the worst one last year, and they're always worse, but maybe it's just because we're at that point in our lives...

Being new to hunting, I don't have any hunt rituals. I have fished for 25+ years though.

- I will never kill the first fish of the season, be it open water or ice season.

- Every fish caught and released is quietly thanked for being sporting enough to test my skill in some way.

- When fishing with my long time fishing buddy, we always wrap the day sitting by the water with a flask of scotch. One swig each if we have to head straight home, polish the flask off if we're spending the night at camp.

- With the same buddy, we have a deal. Whoever catches the biggest fish gets a free dinner on the other guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back