MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Possession Limits

Nemont

I have noticed a pickup pulling a dog trailer parked at a local motel. It has been there every day for the past 10 days. That is when I started noticing it anyway. There are three guys and they have 4 dogs.

I ran into these guys at a restruant yesterday and struck up a conversation. They inquired about waterfowling as they are getting burnt out on upland birds. I asked them a few questions along the lines of how they have been doing. They said that they have shot limits 9 of the last 10 days. I was curious what they were doing with all their birds. Gifting them or consuming them to stay in their possession limit. They said they have their birds processed and shipped home via UPS or DHL. That just doesn't sound right to me.

Can you hunt for weeks on end, limit out every day and then ship home so you can continue to hunt? What is the point of a possession limit if that is allowed? Just curious if that sounds right.

Nemont

Nemont I think they are stretching the "not so gray" area... in most states the possession limit (game an fish) includes the number of pheasants, ducks fish, etc. that you can legally have in your possession period. And possession would be further defined as in transit or storage.

With fish especially (ask the AK guys) it is often defined as the number of fish that may be possessed at any time in any form: fresh, stored in freezers or lockers, salted, smoked, dried, canned, or preserved. You could see why that woul be a beotch to enforce!

Like you've said...otherwise what good is the limit other than the daily bag?

Yep, definately in violation of possession limit laws. Gotta eat them if you want to keep hunting.

Oak

thats a Big 10-4 Idhao rule too. Even if you shoot a limit of geese and Bring them in o get proccessed the next day you putthem in the Freezer, you are done untill the Birds are Consumed or Disposed of... By Disposing I mean Giving them away or eating them of course :D

Moosie said:
thats a Big 10-4 Idhao rule too. Even if you shoot a limit of geese and Bring them in o get proccessed the next day you putthem in the Freezer, you are done untill the Birds are Consumed or Disposed of... By Disposing I mean Giving them away or eating them of course :D

Sounds like these boys may need to hire that little Japanese kid who eats all the hot dogs :D or quit shootin!

yoda.

Most of the game species that we Hunt in Louisiana you have say a limit of 8 rabbits, with a possession limit of 16. We are allowed 6 Deer per year, yet there is always somebody that can't count until the end of the season! John

Way to go, come from out of state and smack all of our birds. That is a bunch of BS!!! You should slip a little note under one of those MUF*&%$r's windshield wipers and get them the hell outta town. Oh yeah and slip another note under the fish cops. GETTRDUN!!

P.S. If they have a cooler in back of there pickup, drink all of there beer... :D

I hear you Jeff. We had that problem with some Lousiana boys when I was working at Bowdoin. They ended up getting busted and believe they were not allowed to hunt MT for 3 years (also fines). These guys had lots of other problems as well, like a limit in the morning and another in the afternoon, not leaving plumage, etc...

I would like to see the possession limit raised a bit though. Not fair to the NR to travel all the way to MT and only be able to fill on birds for two days and then be done.

When my buddy travels to AR for ducks he shipped some home whenever he hit his possession. Got spendy, but it works.

mtmiller said:
When my buddy travels to AR for ducks he shipped some home whenever he hit his possession. Got spendy, but it works.

Is that legal under AR possession limit laws? I don't think it is in most states.

Oak

It's not here in Idaho....... And you can't store 50 birds in the freezer either.... But I wonder About Jerkey ?!?!?! HUMMmmmm Figure that one out would ya ?

Possession in the freezer is a sticky one. It is probably against the law, but I don't think many houses are being checked unless you have other problems (my opinion).

Oscar, if you have 8 ducks in your freezer from 2004 season can you hunt the opener? Heck, you are already over the possession on day one without even hunting. ;)

As for jerky, grind them up as they come in. Tough to count mallard burger. :D

Is that legal under AR possession limit laws? I don't think it is in most states.
You are probably right, but pretty tough one to enforce.

BTW, I didn't want to touch the O&G CX question you had on the other thread. :D

I was just needling you
That's what Tyler tells his wife when asked what he is doing back there. hump

Alright, screwing up the thread. Gotta get to happy hour and find some woman to take care of my dog while I go hunting this weekend. :rolleyes: :D

What a bunch of hogs. How many birds does a guy have to shoot for gods sake. Turn them in.

Moosie, you are right and wrong. In Idaho the law is the same as all the states on waterfowl. Federal law covers waterfowl and all you can have is two limits. Now on upland game that is a different story. In idaho the posession limit ends at your front door. So if you go hunting over a weekend and you are camping and get two limits ( a posession limit), You can no longer hunt until you eat some or go home and put those birds in the freezer. Idaho has no possion limit on upland birds in the freezer. You can get a limit of upland birds every day and put them in the freezer all season long. Now more on waterfowl. Lets say you come home and you have a limit of ducks. YOu can gift them to your daughter, or son. They can have a posession limit, along with every person in your family. The thing is you need the paperwork to cover your butt. Ron

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back