Portable shooting benches

brnsvllyjohn

I am looking at purchasing a portable shooting bench of some kind (or build one) to take to fields where the grass and brush is way too tall to go prone. The ones I have looked at so far are the Caldwell Stable Table ($220) and the Caldwell Deadshot Chairpod ($150). This is for practice and possibly just checking zero occasionally. I know nothing portable will be as good as a well built permanent bench but I am looking to get the grandkids out more in some locations that are just areas on private ground where it is safe to shoot. Probably not going to shoot more than 200 yards.
Anyone have any experience with these items or other products that might work for us that are portable? I have tables with folding legs but I am not that happy with them.

I have a Hearters Deluxe portable bench. It works fine but needs a flat place to set up.

We've had a few portables, none have been perfect. If you have a chop saw, I can give you a pretty easy build that is 2 man portable if you have a truck...obviously not folding or anything, but all 1 piece.

These worked for me

Attachments

• benchbuild007bop.png
    benchbuild007bop.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 9
I have a Caldwell field pod. It would work great for your purpose along with a camp chair. It’s would be a bit cheaper as well. The field pod is also your best friend in a ground blind. Keeps the shotgun,rifle, or crossbow at the ready and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. They are awesome for kids.

Last edited:
Based on your usage it sounds like they would be fine. I considered buying a few different ones but none of them were stable enough feeling for me but I mainly use it for zeroing. I do have a Caldwell Field Pod on the chair and it works great for just practicing but again isnt stable enough to zero a rifle no matter how much I tightened it down.

Back