Caribou Gear

Politicization of Idaho's wildlife passed with 0 sportsmens input.

Elkmagnet

"House Bill 514, which would forever politicize the IDFG Commission, sped through Idaho’s House of Representatives last week clearing its committee hearing and the House floor in a matter of days. It’s now on it’s way to the Senate Resources committee.
More surprisingly (or perhaps not) is when the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Paul Shepherd (R-Riggins), was asked if he had sought the input or support from sportsmen, sportsmen organizations, or IDFG Commissioners themselves. His answer was. “No, I have not.” "

Guys this is opening the door to a whole lot of potential harm. All we need is one governor who doesn't like hunting or decides to steer the boat in the wrong direction and hunting as we know it will change.

Please read more and fill out the form letter to the Idaho Senate resources committee

This will open the door to Idaho being like Utah and auctioning half our tags to the highest bidder and raffling another 200....among other issues.

Conversly, I will say this: IDFG needs to cut spending so that it isn't so tempting for the legislatures to say, "hey, you need more money??? Then auction some sheep, goat and moose tags." That is also a problem IMO. Give me 8 hours with their books and I will solve the budget issue.

This will open the door to Idaho being like Utah and auctioning half our tags to the highest bidder and raffling another 200....among other issues.

Conversly, I will say this: IDFG needs to cut spending so that it isn't so tempting for the legislatures to say, "hey, you need more money??? Then auction some sheep, goat and moose tags." That is also a problem IMO. Give me 8 hours with their books and I will solve the budget issue.

Allocation will come from the NR pool if I had to guess, don't worry, Utah doesn't seem to care either as long as it doesn't effect R tags.

You must be able to paint a skyscraper with one stroke.

When they give you the paintbrush & the skyscraper, then yes. Just like it's 99.9% democrats with stupid ideas about gun violence, it's 99.9% republicans who come up with this kind of crap.

Neither party has a lock on stupid, and both seem to be in a race to see who can there the fastest at times. The real problem is the purge of moderates and collaboration minded conservatives within the GOP ranks over the last 10-15 years. The shift to the far right within western states has led to a severe erosion of conservation & egalitarian principles within the Republican party. It's been frustrating & sad to watch & work in that environment, but I'm hoping that voters will see past simple party labels, and start to vote for candidates who represent their values, rather than their tribal political affiliation.

I work with Republicans who are true stewards of the resource, and they value the past approach to leave politics out of the decision making process. They get called RINO's, and primaried by the extremist wing, which at the very least, makes those politicians less likely to be courageous and vote how we'd like them too.

Idaho used to be one of the most progressive states when it came to wildlife mgt. Wolf reintroduction changed that forever because politicians saw an issue they could ride to Boise on. Same thing has happened in MT & WY. That, added to the increase in transplants either through the redoubt effort or fleeing regressive democratic policies in coastal states, has given the interior west some really vapid legislators.

All that stuff said doesnt make the blanket statement true. It's just divisive. The last potus election 40% of idaho voted other than R.

All that stuff said doesnt make the blanket statement true. It's just divisive. The last potus election 40% of idaho voted other than R.
Not quite. Technically 41% of Idaho didn't vote at all (which is pretty good turnout), so only 40% of 59% (23.6%) actually voted for something other than an R.

All that stuff said doesnt make the blanket statement true. It's just divisive.

Politics is divisive by nature. It's been made more so by fear-mongers who find a paycheck attached to their fake anger. If you don't call that out when you see it, you simply help feed the machine. In ID, the legislature is full on whackado. This bill progresses, while a solid access bill can't even get a hearing.

That's happening right now in a few state legislatures. Wyoming, Arizona, UT, etc. Those are all controlled by one political party.

Its unfortunate that the Republican party has taken such an anti sportmen stance in the west but it has. All I can do is vote against it and hope that they come back around.

Another state that sadly votes R for no other reason than it's a R. Sad times for sure. Hope for the best while expecting the worst.
One of my friends when we were 20ish had his grandfather tell him he needed to vote My friend replied that he didn't know anything about politics and didn't even know the names of the candidates.
His grandfather told him "all you need to know is go in and vote for all the Republicans"
This is Idaho politics in a nutshell.

True, it is a broad generalization, but that doesn't mean there is some truth to it. Certain states are Red or Blue and have been for decades. I have met many people in MT that have voted R so long they don't even remember what they believe. I assume many people just vote way or the other because researching various positions is hard and people would rather watch TV than inform themselves. The consequence is that a politician gets elected and just assumes that every idea he/she holds is what constituents believe too. Nothing could be further from the truth, but if you agree on 50% and disagree on 50% there is no way let that be known. This is one case that is completely ridiculous because it appears they didn't even make an attempt to gather the views of constituents. There was probably a reason for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back