Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hey Idaho: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ben Long

http://www.idahowildlife.org/e-mails-reveal-back-room-arm-twisting-at-idaho-fish-game-commission/

E-mails Reveal Back-room Arm-twisting at Idaho Fish & Game Commission

Opponents Axed Volunteer Commissioners, Targeted Agency Heads

Contacts:

Brian Brooks, Idaho Wildlife Federation Executive Director (208) 870-7967
Kahle Becker, Idaho Wildlife Federation President (208) 340-1231
Mark Doerr, former IDFG Commissioner (208) 421-4710
Will Naillon, former IDFG Commissioner (208) 833-4799

For Immediate Release October 17, 2016

BOISE — Recently unveiled emails confirm what Idaho sportsmen had suspected: That Gov. Butch Otter bowed to political pressure to axe two members of Idaho’s Fish and Game Commission, who ran afoul of a Legislator’s desire to revamp the way Idaho distributes its most prized hunting licenses.

“Idahoans enjoy a world-class wildlife resource thanks to our independent Fish & Game Commission,” said Kahle Becker of the Idaho Wildlife Federation. “The strong-arm politics we have unveiled are a direct threat to Idaho sportsmen and the hunting heritage we have built over decades.”

Recently unveiled emails clearly show that Blackfoot businessman Doug Sayer and Sen. Steve Bair, R-Blackfoot, used their political influence to draw cross-hairs on the Commissioners who objected to their goals. Sayer is an influential member of the Idaho Republican Party; Bair is chairman of the Senate Natural Resources Committee. Sayer also tried, but failed, to bring down the Director and Deputy Director at the Idaho Department of Fish & Game.

At issue is the lottery system that Idaho uses to distribute highly prized and limited hunting permits, such as moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat. Historically, these permits have been distributed in annual lotteries. But some Legislators have pushed to carve out more and more tags to be sold to the highest bidder, which has been controversial.

“Idaho’s Fish and Game Commission is a proven success because it guarantees sportsmen’s have a voice even in times of intense political pressure,” said Brian Brooks, of Idaho Wildlife Federation. “Idaho outdoor families won’t stand politicians playing heavy-handed politics with public servants and professional biologists.”

The standoff between Legislators and the Commission grew heated in May of 2016, when Gov. Otter failed to reappoint two commissioners, Mark Doerr and Will Naillon.

But months earlier, Sayer was emailing the Governor’s Office, calling for heads to roll.

“I fear that if we aren’t willing to change the chemistry of the existing commission and perhaps the leadership at the department, this issue will not heal or repair itself,” he wrote to Butch Otter’s Chief of Staff David Hensley.…”I must however recommend to you that we do not reappoint Mark Doerr or Will Naillon when their term expires in June.”

Gov. Otter failed to reappoint Doerr and Naillon, offering no explanation for the move. The Idaho Wildlife Federation sought those emails under Idaho’s sunshine law and reviewed hundreds of pages to shed light on the actions, which were provided to the Idaho press this morning.

The Idaho Fish & Game Commission was created by a statewide vote in 1938.

The emails reveal that:

Sayer asked the governor’s office to axe Commissioners Doerr and Naillon and suggested he had names to recommend as replacements.
Sayer recommended firing the director and chief deputy of the Idaho Department of Fish & Game as well. (They remain in office, as the commission has authority over their employment.)
Sen. Steve Bair organized large agriculture special interests to testify at hearings, to drive a wedge between the Idaho Department of Fish & Game and rank-and-file sportsmen.
Bair and Sayer coordinated political strong-arm tactics to withhold necessary funding increases for the Idaho Department of Fish & Game to gain political leverage for their pet project: selling more big game tags to the highest bidder.

“Clearly, there are many creative ways to fund wildlife conservation in Idaho,” said Brooks. “We have a system that works and is fair for all Idahoans, but allowing politics to trump the public interest and professional biologists is a recipe for disaster. The Idaho Wildlife Federation – and other outdoor groups – clearly need to double our guard to prevent that from happening.”

Sad to hear about this. To often, this is how it works. Most of the time, we never hear about it.

Pulling my hair out that hunters keep voting for these guys. There are more sheep voting in Idaho than people.

Thanks for posting Ben. What a mess, I only wish more Idaho hunters and voters would read these type of things.

Some things don't change. Were you there 15-20 years ago a bunch of so-called sportsmen were whipping their members into a frothy hatred of IDF&G at every opportunity? David something of Pocatello was a lead moron, but I suppose SFW has taken the lead now. They had generated so much mistrust that the legislators knew they would be cheered on when they bullied IDF&G. Everyone told me that Montana is what Idaho used to be. I see us heading in Idaho's direction if we allow the Legislature to bully FWP.

Man, that is disappointing, to say the least.

Hopefully someone is held accountable.

Not in Idaho....

The fear of gays, abortion, and guns being grabbed will protect anyone from being held accountable.

This is true. ^^^

However, there is good news and bad news. These largely Republican and Conservative people are pro-growth, pro-development, and pro-public land transfer. This will lead to more gays and more abortions and more guns being grabbed and population increases and more liberals and more environmentalism and more conservation and more regulation and more planning and zoning and more money in the pockets of the rich who will blame the new woes on the immigrants; And the useful idiot poor Idahoans will follow in lock-step hating the immigrants and pining for the old days and you'll end up with another Colorado.

And the environment and the animals and the native Idahoan's and the gays and babies and the liberals and world will lose, while the rich are laughing all the way to the bank, hiding behind their gated and secured properties where they hunt the people's big bull elk to their hearts content.

As an analogy: Every single argument I've every heard on international trade agreements always have both sides agreeing to, then brushing over and moving past a phrase that goes like this: "Yes, well, there will be winners and losers." That is the case here. So, you need only ask yourself: Are you gonna be a winner, or a loser? And if you are going to be a loser, are you going to be a sore loser and useful idiot who blames the liberals and the Democrats and the immigrants, and constinues to side with the perpetrators? Or are you going to take your stupid lumps like you deserve? :D

And, for those who object to the partisan political, two-valued orientation, divisive nature of my rant, yeah, I get it. I'm wrong. I started the rhetoric, and the hating, and I laid the party platform. :rolleyes: Sorry, but I call it not only as I see, but as I've lived it, in Idaho and elsewhere.

This is true. ^^^

However, there is good news and bad news. These largely Republican and Conservative people are pro-growth, pro-development, and pro-public land transfer. This will lead to more gays and more abortions and more guns being grabbed and population increases and more liberals and more environmentalism and more conservation and more regulation and more planning and zoning and more money in the pockets of the rich who will blame the new woes on the immigrants; And the useful idiot poor Idahoans will follow in lock-step hating the immigrants and pining for the old days and you'll end up with another Colorado.

And the environment and the animals and the native Idahoan's and the gays and babies and the liberals and world will lose, while the rich are laughing all the way to the bank, hiding behind their gated and secured properties where they hunt the people's big bull elk to their hearts content.

As an analogy: Every single argument I've every heard on international trade agreements always have both sides agreeing to, then brushing over and moving past a phrase that goes like this: "Yes, well, there will be winners and losers." That is the case here. So, you need only ask yourself: Are you gonna be a winner, or a loser? And if you are going to be a loser, are you going to be a sore loser and useful idiot who blames the liberals and the Democrats and the immigrants, and constinues to side with the perpetrators? Or are you going to take your stupid lumps like you deserve? :D

And, for those who object to the partisan political, two-valued orientation, divisive nature of my rant, yeah, I get it. I'm wrong. I started the rhetoric, and the hating, and I laid the party platform. :rolleyes: Sorry, but I call it not only as I see, but as I've lived it, in Idaho and elsewhere.

I know English isn't my first language, but I have no idea what you wrote.

maxresdefault.jpg

I know English isn't my first language, but I have no idea what you wrote.

You're critical reading skills are good, Jose. You just need to work on your analytic reading skills. Some times it takes effort to parse genius. :hump: In any event, you're in the choir so don't worry about it.

I am one Idaho hunter who WILL BE standing up and using my voice to denounce this corruption. Hopefully this example will galvanize more Idaho sportsmen to tell our officials to keep their slimy insider deals out of wildlife management.

The whole purpose of having a Fish & Game commission is to keep politics out of wildlife management and to make sure that the public's interests are represented. Governor Otter, a few entitled legislators and one power-hungry wealthy donor to the Republican party are seriously out of line here.

Making the situation more complicated is that Mr. Sayer is a longtime leader in the Wild Sheep Foundation.

I am one Idaho hunter who WILL BE standing up and using my voice to denounce this corruption. Hopefully this example will galvanize more Idaho sportsmen to tell our officials to keep their slimy insider deals out of wildlife management.

The whole purpose of having a Fish & Game commission is to keep politics out of wildlife management and to make sure that the public's interests are represented. Governor Otter, a few entitled legislators and one power-hungry wealthy donor to the Republican party are seriously out of line here.

Making the situation more complicated is that Mr. Sayer is a longtime leader in the Wild Sheep Foundation.

My email to Otter has been sent but the WSF connection is possibly more disturbing. We all figured SFW was behind this but the chairman of the WSF being behind it flat pisses me off!

Maybe if the other party weren't so extremist in their views about gays, abortions, and guns social conservatives with an environmental bent would be willing to vote for them. The knife cuts both ways.

Maybe if the other party weren't so extremist in their views about gays, abortions, and guns social conservatives with an environmental bent would be willing to vote for them. The knife cuts both ways.

This is so true. Why can't we have a political party that stands for everyone in the middle instead of representing the fringes on either end of the spectrum? I just want someone who will respect the constitution and leave me the hell alone. Is that too much to ask for?

They don't cater to the fringe, they talk about it... but very little action representing the fringe occurs in either direction. That's both the beauty and blight of the system. Good luck pointing out how your life has noticeably changed as a result of someone in office. I have yet to meet anyone that can (or at least that can convince me that it truly in the responsibility of the person in office).

They don't cater to the fringe, they talk about it... but very little action representing the fringe occurs in either direction. That's both the beauty and blight of the system. Good luck pointing out how your life has noticeably changed as a result of someone in office. I have yet to meet anyone that can (or at least that can convince me that it truly in the responsibility of the person in office).

How do you know if he hasn't now been forced to become gay married, have abortions, and had all his guns taken by jack-booted thugs from the Government??? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

So extreme that "social conservatives" can't support hunting and hunters because they need to tell people who they can marry, what women can do with their bodies, and own all the guns their hearts want.:W:

Yet, in Idaho, a legislator can run on anti-gay, anti-woman, and anti-hunting platforms, and win. :hump:

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back