MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pointer breeds hunting fur

Kyboy88

Here and there I have heard accounts. Of the German pointer breeds being used to hunt fur. Fox rabbit deer and hogs in Europe and hogs coon coyote and some cats in the u.s.a. also in the usa seems x them with curs or pits is some what common. Was just wounding if anybody has seen or done it

My experience with GSPs are that they are cold blooded killers of anything on 4 legs. Mine loved rabbits and cats.....especially cats.

Very versatile dogs!

They are cold blooded killers given the chance. It was pretty easy to keep my current crop from chasing deer, elk that kind of thing. We’ve only come face to face with wolves once, dogs wanted no part of them, but they worry me. Sugar alerts but wants no part of the bears. Molly chased a big grizz out of camp when she was six months old, been after them ever since. Saved my butt a couple times I’m sure.
She’ll be sleeping in the lodge of an evening, if folks are casual about getting up and looking at a bear cruising by she’s fine. Somebody points and yells bear! Hell she’ll turn tables over getting out the door.7B406B35-5C06-4637-93D2-0885DAD90EBE.jpeg13D59B8F-D7E9-4697-B7A5-C55E75C41BB4.jpeg764C9A09-CE97-409E-A604-ECFA0EB94930.jpeg

My granddad and uncle used to hunt wild hogs here in Texas a lot with GSP's. They were great at finding the pigs and baying them up. Ol' Blue had his guts ripped out by a pig and after healing up was murder on them, and wouldn't just bay them up, he'd have a whole sounder dead by the time the hunters would get there.

And my eccentric uncle, who had a "tame" African lion, would turn his GSP's loose on her. Now she'd bat these pig hunters around like they were dust bunnies. This is probably cruel and a little bit "Tiger King" but the way the story was.

The history and testing of many of the German pointing breeds includes the hunting/dispatching/retrieval of fur. Drathaars are known for this trait. Can't find his website right now, but did read of a breeder in NC that used his DDs on upland birds, waterfowl, coyotes, and pigs. My pudelpointer shows great interest in little furry critters, but has not yet gone nose to nose with anything. But, he did retrieve a cottontail I shot a few years back in IA.

My experience with GSPs are that they are cold blooded killers of anything on 4 legs. Mine loved rabbits and cats.....especially cats.

Very versatile dogs!
Did you try to stop him or let him do it? Was he from a American line or over sea's I ask because I have heard a lot of the American line had the fur drive breed out of them but others saying if you put them were they can find fur and you praise them for it they will still go after it. Also with what you have seen with your dog could you believed two or three with his kind of drive could have the speed and power to take down something like a bobcat or coyote

They are cold blooded killers given the chance. It was pretty easy to keep my current crop from chasing deer, elk that kind of thing. We’ve only come face to face with wolves once, dogs wanted no part of them, but they worry me. Sugar alerts but wants no part of the bears. Molly chased a big grizz out of camp when she was six months old, been after them ever since. Saved my butt a couple times I’m sure.
She’ll be sleeping in the lodge of an evening, if folks are casual about getting up and looking at a bear cruising by she’s fine. Somebody points and yells bear! Hell she’ll turn tables over getting out the door.View attachment 134402View attachment 134403View attachment 134404
She is a petty one. Was it just something that came naturally to her to run off bear's? Is she American line or over sea's? Could you believed the stories I have heard about two or three of them together running down and catching stuff as big as bobcat or coyote

My granddad and uncle used to hunt wild hogs here in Texas a lot with GSP's. They were great at finding the pigs and baying them up. Ol' Blue had his guts ripped out by a pig and after healing up was murder on them, and wouldn't just bay them up, he'd have a whole sounder dead by the time the hunters would get there.

And my eccentric uncle, who had a "tame" African lion, would turn his GSP's loose on her. Now she'd bat these pig hunters around like they were dust bunnies. This is probably cruel and a little bit "Tiger King" but the way the story was.
Wow please don't take this the wrong way but sounds like your uncle would have been a interesting guy to have a beer and set down with. Do you know if the gsp they had were just hog dogs or other stuff to? Do you know how they trained them anything different then training a hound or cur

The history and testing of many of the German pointing breeds includes the hunting/dispatching/retrieval of fur. Drathaars are known for this trait. Can't find his website right now, but did read of a breeder in NC that used his DDs on upland birds, waterfowl, coyotes, and pigs. My pudelpointer shows great interest in little furry critters, but has not yet gone nose to nose with anything. But, he did retrieve a cottontail I shot a few years back in IA.
Yeah I think I know the guy you are talking about. I looked at drathaars and the only thing is they might be a little over the top in kill drive. I am kind of looking at gsp if I can find some with a good drive

Wow please don't take this the wrong way but sounds like your uncle would have been a interesting guy to have a beer and set down with. Do you know if the gsp they had were just hog dogs or other stuff to? Do you know how they trained them anything different then training a hound or cur

Ha, he is a very interesting guy. He built and certified an airplane, from scratch with an engine from a Volkswagen Beatle, when he was 18. Caught and raised all kinds of wild animals. Build knives and guns and such. He's a real eccentric. Their GSP did it all, pointed quail, fetched doves and ducks, brought in the horses, helped gather cattle. Those were the days when the men were outside working all the time and had lots of time to do experiential training with the dogs. They trained them on everything by just doing lots of it.

Ha, he is a very interesting guy. He built and certified an airplane, from scratch with an engine from a Volkswagen Beatle, when he was 18. Caught and raised all kinds of wild animals. Build knives and guns and such. He's a real eccentric. Their GSP did it all, pointed quail, fetched doves and ducks, brought in the horses, helped gather cattle. Those were the days when the men were outside working all the time and had lots of time to do experiential training with the dogs. They trained them on everything by just doing lots of it.
Oh OK so with what you know about them just let them find animals tracks and let their drive take over? Do you happen to know if they were American line dogs or over sea's? Also just a sideline question does your uncle still make knives? If so does he every sell them I have been looking for someone who could make a good fighting Bowie

I have a DK and a weim from European lines. Both will hunt fur. Both are fully whoa broken, so I've never really had a problem with them chasing anything I don't want to. I will shoot rabbits over them, so now they see them as any other game. I have no doubt they would hunt anything that moves with encouragement. I couple of years ago, I was in WY sage grouse and antelope hunting. The girls watched me shoot a doe one day. After that, every antelope we saw became a "hey boss, there's another one" moment.

Not my dogs, nor do I have any affiliation with this guy. But I think this is a great video that shows off what continental dogs are able to do.

I have a DK and a weim from European lines. Both will hunt fur. Both are fully whoa broken, so I've never really had a problem with them chasing anything I don't want to. I will shoot rabbits over them, so now they see them as any other game. I have no doubt they would hunt anything that moves with encouragement. I couple of years ago, I was in WY sage grouse and antelope hunting. The girls watched me shoot a doe one day. After that, every antelope we saw became a "hey boss, there's another one" moment.

Not my dogs, nor do I have any affiliation with this guy. But I think this is a great video that shows off what continental dogs are able to do.

Cool you have the two breeds I am kind of looking at. If you don't mind me asking what would you say the biggest different between the two would be? The few guys I have talked to that do both in America seem to have them trannined to point on breeds but on fur take it down like a hound would have you every seen them trained like that

Our English pointers will trail and tree a coon if they come across one. Hearing them bark bayed like a hound is one of my favorite memories. The main difference between the pointers and the hounds is that they would quit a real cold track but if they picked up a hot one they would finish. We've killed badgers, possums, skunks, feral cats that they brought to bay. Never were particularly interested in Fox or coyotes though.

The biggest difference between the girls is personality. It is more apparent in training than in the field, but my weim is more sensitive. I have to be more mindful on corrections and my overall tone during a training session. Both are hard charging in the field, but I think the DK is more forgiving on the training side. The other difference is the weim is MY dog. No one will ever steal her. All strangers are suspects until I approve them, then they are tolerated. My DK would get in the car with anyone.

I'm pretty leary of most weims over here. You need to see the parents in action. If they come from working lines that were European tested, they are hard working dogs. A lot of American lines have the "occasional" hunter in the line and mostly pets. I would not trust one of those to invest the time and resources to try to make them a hunting dog.

I have not seen them trained that way, but it does seem logical. I wanted predominately bird dogs, so I expect my girls to point and honor on anything. If I release them, they will give chase until whatever they are after gets away, they catch it, or I call them back. My girls aren't really barkers, so I'm not sure how using them to run game would work? The weim will "yip" if she trees something.

Oh OK so with what you know about them just let them find animals tracks and let their drive take over? Do you happen to know if they were American line dogs or over sea's? Also just a sideline question does your uncle still make knives? If so does he every sell them I have been looking for someone who could make a good fighting Bowie

I'm sure they were American line dogs, probably from a line of under some old farmers front porch dogs.

And my uncle won't even make a knife for me! Once he masters something he moves on. He bought a bi-plane, took it apart to see how it worked, and once he curiosity was satisfied, never got around to putting it back together. That was when I was a kid and I am 45 now, maybe he will still get around to it, or maybe his grandsons!

There are fighting Bowie put them together yourself kits out there I've seen. Google them and put together your own!

This drahthaar is hard on furry things. Pic is at 8 months with first solo coon. I don't encourage it, nor do I deny him a little fun. He'll retrieve anything I shoot. But he does get a little twitterpatted over rabbits lol.

If we're in pheasants and I know he is on a bunny, just a quick "leave it" command and we go back to roosters.

There’s a guy that posts a lot on a squirrel hunting fb page I follow. Two year old male 1/2 bird dog 1/2 treeing fiest. Looks like it should be running through fields but he is a jam up squirrel dog.

She is a petty one. Was it just something that came naturally to her to run off bear's? Is she American line or over sea's? Could you believed the stories I have heard about two or three of them together running down and catching stuff as big as bobcat or coyote
My ability to control her has always been pretty good, I can recall her easily, except for the grizzlies. Her first bear was at six months old. I had only just arrived at our place in King Salmon. Walked down to the river to see how everything had faired over the winter. Molly growled and took off like a shot, out of the Willows, 30 yards away, came a big boar. Molly chased him up river for about a hundred yards. I’m yelling like mad, she’s nipping at the bear. At 100 yards the bear stopped, Molly overshot and the bear turned on her, she scooted around him and came running back. Bear in hot pursuit. At fifty yards my brother splashed two or three rounds next to the bear while I covered. A ceasefire was arranged.
Sister in law nicknamed him Tall Dark and Handsome, very distinctive bear. He was around the next couple of summers. Usually on the other side of the river. Loved to torment the dogs and pose for pictures.
She still chases bears, the bears will only run about 100 yards.

Back