Point Scheme

Flatlander3

Does anyone on here purchase points for themselves to hunt every few years, then purchase points for thier wife with her only going once every 6 to 10 years? So when you have 0 points, you and the wife take a trip with essentially 3 to 5 points a piece?

I’m more or less by a point in Washington every year for quality elk and just waiting to gain enough points to hunt a quality unit

I am not sure sure if Utah still allows it, but they are stories of husbands putting wives, nephews, nieces, daughters, (Non hunters) in for general deer hunts in a group app.

The tag would be drawn and the non hunter would turn in their tag and regain the points to hunt again the next year.

Yes. My wife has enough points in CO for some decent hunts. Just a matter of making the time to go.

Only in a state that allows the sharing of points. Hence the reason people want the group averaging of points done away with....People are just paying for two tags and using the other people to gain an advantage. I think you will see point averaging abolished in a few years.

I buy my wife and daughter points, but I don’t put in with them. Wife spent her 6 lope points last year. I have 8, daughter has 1, wife’s got 1 again. I can’t afford all 3 of us to get a buck tag in 1 year. Not sure if I could do 2.
Matt

I buy points like that for my wife. But it's different. I get a lot more days off than her. So we buy her points so that in the future we can go hunting together when schedules align. Meanwhile I buy points to go by myself. I don't feel like I'm buying her points for me to go so much as to go together when it would be convenient for her.

My wife and I started applying at the same time for Wyoming. I ended up drawing a tag with a couple friends and she kept applying. She's now at 13 and I'm at 5. We 'could' blend points at 9 and have a great hunt. More than likely though, I'll draw her in a separate zone and then go back in a couple years and hunt with a buddy of mine again. Essentially getting two really good trips out of it rather than one where we both have tags.

I'm with Matt, can't really afford multiple buck tags in one year. I have a bunch of points, but I also get them for the kids...you can't really beat the price till they are 18, if they don't use them with you they will probably get a good hunt in their early 20's.

Back