Podcast #4 - Shane Mahoney

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
If you go to www.RandyNewberg.com you will be able to follow the download links for Hunt Talk Radio and get the most recent podcast with Shane Mahoney. This podcast was a fun one to record and gives a very different perspective of how hunting fits into our society, both historically and in the context of today.

You can click the Hunt Talk Radio link on the tool bar above, or right to www.RandyNewberg.com

I've listened to half of it so far. Thanks for the podcast Randy, its a good one.

I am listening to it as I type this! This is the first time I have heard Shane talk and the way he does it just draws one in! Thanks Randy love the podcasts

Another fantastic podcast.

I enjoyed the in-depth philosophical-talk. You don't hear a whole lotta that in the hunting "personality" world.

Quite an ambitious project that Mr. Mahoney is engaged in. I think the gross food-product that hunting and fishing produces annually will be enlightening info, though, I think it will always have to be supplemental in terms of protein intake for the general public. Killing and eating wild game is beautiful and sustainable, but in terms of protein/per acre, wild game simply won't rival the protein/acre of production agriculture. Largely because the efficiency of that metric isn't really a goal of conservation, as opposed to it being the chief goal of agriculture for certain crops. Combined with all the other benefits of hunting though, the info that his project will produce will just add to the Cumulative-Case-For-Hunting.

Mr. Mahoney is measured and cautious with his words, and I really appreciate his ability to sympathize with groups of people so many other hunters would just right off as "ignorant". Also, "The last act of American Genius"(spoken with a Scottish accent) is a wonderful description of the North American Model of Conservation.

Thanks for this podcast. I'll be listening to it twice.

Last edited:
I'd also add....

Mr. Mahoney mentioned George Bird Grinell, and said to read books about him to learn more about and be inspired by conservationists.

Michael Punke's book Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West is impressive as hell. It's amazing how one individual had such an impact on the landscapes we see today - from bison to Glacier National Park.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Ge...efinements=p_lbr_one_browse-bin:Michael+Punke

I'd also add....

Mr. Mahoney mentioned George Bird Grinell, and said to read books about him to learn more about and be inspired by conservationists.

Michael Punke's book Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West is impressive as hell. It's amazing how one individual had such an impact on the landscapes we see today - from bison to Glacier National Park.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Ge...efinements=p_lbr_one_browse-bin:Michael+Punke

Yes, everyone who is interested in the hunter's role as conservation leaders in America should read that book.

Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell .....

Another incredible podcast, Shane is incredibly informed, brilliantly spoken, and absolutely hypnotic to listen to. This was a heavy podcast in terms of hunting from a historical and anthropological sense, how that ties to the modern conservation, wildlife impacts and the food movement. This will surely be a podcast I listen to several times because there is simply too much to digest while listening. Listening to this podcast I feel inspired to attempt to reach more people with respect to the benefits of hunting and fishing.

Just this past weekend my wife and I took our son and his friend (both 5) shark fishing in the SF Bay. The mother of my son’s friend (our friend too) is a vegetarian, but happily posted a picture on Facebook of him with his first shark. The first comment from her peers “why”, which she quickly responded with “For food. This one was too small and thrown back—anything caught is eaten. Our friends who took him out are way into ethical hunting and fishing. I'm still a vegetarian”

I wish there would have been an engaged discussion as I was curious why the commenter wanted to know “why”. But, at least my vegetarian friend is open to her son having new experiences, and learning where his food comes from, and best of all participating in that process. Our story is a great one to tell, we just need the right authors.

I am going to have to talk with my wife about watching our bank account for unreasonable charges to Hunt Talk, because I am pretty sure Shane is a professional hypnotist and there are hidden messages to order hats, dvds and decals. Shane's voice is hypnotic...........great podcast, yes, ordering hats, dvds and truck decals...............:)

Absolutely awesome 2 hours of time. I saw the download last night and knew I wouldn't get much work done. So instead of fighting through work this morning, after my last morning call I threw on the boots and went for a hike.

I will listen to it a couple more times - my mind goes off on tangents during the podcast.

I've always admired Shane Mahoney and his writing. Thanks for bringing this episode to us Randy.

Shane just called me and asked if I have any interest in doing a podcast on the topic of how hunting fits even more importantly today, and do so with the context of the Cecil topic being used the way it has. Much of Shane's work has been in Africa and about its system of wildlife for conserving species. If anyone could provide insight to how this discussion fits into a bigger picture from historically to the present day, Shane could.

I'm scrambling to get the podcast gear available for next week.

What a fantastic podcast. After listening, I'm convinced that the term "anti-hunter" should be one we as hunters stop using. These are just people who we have failed to deliver the message too in a way they can understand.

Might I also suggest Theodore Roosevelt Wilderness Warrior has another book to read.

Last edited:
Randy,
I want to add my voice to the many others to thank and congratulate you on a first class podcast. Shane is a wonderful guest and you did an excellent job keeping the discussion on track while letting him talk. There is nowhere else in media we can get that class of content in such depth. I agree this is one to listen to several times. Thank you for putting out such great content.

If I win the lotto I'm going to hire that man to follow me around and simply speak. What a wonderful, informative, and interesting guest.

I thought I accidentally tuned into a Charlie Rose show. Too cerebral for me to listen to while I'm working. I much preferred when you called Hoppe an ass-clown. :D. Good to have variety though.

Wow, great job with the podcast. Shane Mahoney has made me rethink some of the way that I share my love of conservation with my friends. I have many friends that don't believe hunting fits into todays society and I have failed to get my point across to them. After listening to the podcast and reading some other articles that Shane wrote, I believe I have a better changes of articulating the purpose of hunting and how it still fits into our society. Great Job and I think bring Shane back to another podcast would be great.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back