Poached elk

wytex

Well, found this bull dead on our way up to do a little ranch work. Some idiot shot it from the highway.
Sadly , the GW left the head attached but it was gone when we came back by, brazen idiots it seems I guess.
Shot once in the neck and once in the antlers.
Truck in background just shows distance to the highway.

Notice the amount of blood from the velvet antlers, quite a bit so still growing, tips were not pointed off yet.

Pissed is an understatement for us, GW's are on it though.

DSCN1239 copy.jpg

DSCN1241 copy.jpg

Don't even see the point in them taking the head, in that heat and with out proper immediate attention the velvet is ruined. What a shame.

Don't even see the point in them taking the head, in that heat and with out proper immediate attention the velvet is ruined. What a shame.
I think the antlers would have been fine stripped of velvet, they were hardened underneath it.
I am surprised the GW left them, he is now surprised they are gone.

We thought it was a highway hit so we were going to move it from view and get the head tagged later, bullet holes made us back out and call the GW.
Tracks made it look like a group of bulls were down at the creek.
Many folks also reported it so that is good to hear, lots of people slowed down on the highway while we were documenting it. Pretty sure my yellow t shirt led to me being reported.
Someone had to cross the creek and trespass to get the head.

Time in jail instead of fines! Make it hurt the poacher where it really counts "Their freedom". How does taking their hunting privileges away really stop poaching? Last I knew they don't sell poaching licenses so how is losing their hunting privileges a deterrent?

Jail doesn't do anything for people.

Felony status and hit them with MASSIVE fines. The amount of the fines should financially torpedo people. $50K - $75 seems like a good starting point.

Take their truck, all contents, guns, and put it on auction for CHEAP. Give people 1 bonus point for every poacher that they turn in that leads to a prosecution as well.

People don't learn unless their wallet is impacted.

I have 0 sympathy for a thief and that's exactly what these people are.

Jail doesn't do anything for people.

Felony status and hit them with MASSIVE fines. The amount of the fines should financially torpedo people. $50K - $75 seems like a good starting point.

Take their truck, all contents, guns, and put it on auction for CHEAP. Give people 1 bonus point for every poacher that they turn in that leads to a prosecution as well.

People don't learn unless their wallet is impacted.

I have 0 sympathy for a thief and that's exactly what these people are.
Sir, on that we agree.

I just can't even fathom why people do such stupid things. Absolutely no respect for the wildlife. Hopefully they catch the person or people responsible.

I just don’t understand the mindset that says “There’s a bull, let’s kill it.” or a cow, doe, etc. From what I’ve seen, jail or even fines don’t deter these dumb {#%!! It’s a mind set or an attitude and I don’t think you can ever really change it. Heads on spikes would be a good start though.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back