Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Please Help ID this Fish!

Dougfirtree

A friend photographed this fish stuck on the ice on Lake Champlain. It's about 3 inches long. I would like to ID it, as there is something very familiar about it, but I can't place it... It looks a little like a Mooneye, but doesn't look right to me. I'm a little obsessed. Anyone know?mystery fish.png

I also agree with the a Golden Shiner ID. Never seen one that silver but the young are silver prior to adulthood golden hues

The lateral line and fin layout looks like a Golden Shiner. The pectoral fin is slightly different in this drawing but that might be a small error in the book. I would really need to have a sample in my hands to gather some hidden details that I can't get just from a picture. But right now Golden Shiner would be it.
IMG_20210111_195848636.jpg

Lateral line scale count 54 or under and anal ray count of 12 or 13 will ensure it is a Golden Shiner.

I did count 12 anal rays on your pictured fish in question. Scale count is tough on this picture. Maybe some one has better eyes than me and can get a good count for us.

Yeah, juvenile golden shiner would make alot of sense. I guess it was near some fishing holes and the upper lip does seem a little mangled, like maybe it was hooked there.

Tail shape matches shiner. This is why bait-bucket dumping is illegal!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back