Caribou Gear

Playing hooky with my boy

p_ham

I took a much needed day off yesterday to take my son (4) out looking for rabbits. We had a good time.
A lot of the time was spent picking the perfect stick for a pretend rifle, followed by picking up pine cones for mom. We happened into a big ole jack and a rather impressive shot was made with the .22 while it was making its escape. I would have preferred a Cottontail or two but I haven't seen many the last few years. That's OK, I've eaten plenty of jackrabbit.
He helped me do the guttin and gillin as Big Fin calls it.
We made tacos out of it tonight. They turned out really well. Parted out and seasoned then put into the pressure cooker for 20mins. Pull the bones. Shred, touch up on the seasoning and brown up in cast iron. "Bunny is yummy!"
20211118_091810.jpg20211118_105531.jpg20211118_105533.jpg20211118_111044.jpg20211118_093145.jpg

Attachments

• 20211118_105528.jpg
    20211118_105528.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
Some of my most memorable hunts were for squirrels with one of my 3 boys following along. That’s a great way to get him started,kudos to you for spending the time outdoors with your boy. Oh yeah good job on the rabbit

Good times with your boy p_ham...

We had an abundance of cottontail around growing up in a small agricultural area. A .410'd bunch after a hard freeze was better than fried chicken. Never tried jackrabbit...my granny said they were stringy.

Seeing you out there with your boy brings back old memories of my first hunts with Dad. It seems like good cottontail hunting is a thing of the past. I'd travel for a good rabbit hunt. I agree with NHY, better than chicken and makes the best pan gravy.

Good times with your boy p_ham...

We had an abundance of cottontail around growing up in a small agricultural area. A .410'd bunch after a hard freeze was better than fried chicken. Never tried jackrabbit...my granny said they were stringy.
My grandparents always talked bad about Jack's too. I think they're as good as any other small game. I did have a white-tailed jack once that was almost inedible. It was pretty early in the season, don't know what it got into to taste like that.
Seeing you out there with your boy brings back old memories of my first hunts with Dad. It seems like good cottontail hunting is a thing of the past. I'd travel for a good rabbit hunt. I agree with NHY, better than chicken and makes the best pan gravy.
The earliest hunts I can remember were for quail. My grandma used to braise rabbit over a bed of sauerkraut with a nice gravy. If I have time to do it, that's my preferred recipe.

I had forgotten about the gravy...spot on chukar.

I took a much needed day off yesterday to take my son (4) out looking for rabbits. We had a good time.
A lot of the time was spent picking the perfect stick for a pretend rifle, followed by picking up pine cones for mom. We happened into a big ole jack and a rather impressive shot was made with the .22 while it was making its escape. I would have preferred a Cottontail or two but I haven't seen many the last few years. That's OK, I've eaten plenty of jackrabbit.
We made tacos out of it tonight. They turned out really well. Parted out and seasoned then put into the pressure cooker for 20mins. Pull the bones. Shred, touch up on the seasoning and brown up in cast iron. "Bunny is yummy!"
View attachment 202338View attachment 202341View attachment 202342View attachment 202343View attachment 202339
Good for you!! My best memory I always talk about was my dad going to every single game I ever played in. Middle of day, weekend, nighttime he never ever missed a game, ever and of course hunting. I did the same for my girls and they talk about it. When the know your putting your life on hold for just a few hours for them it’s the greatest feeling ever. You tell by the smile on his face. Not because of rabbit, because you took him there. Hopefully more dads will reach your post!

View attachment 202338View attachment 202341View attachment 202342View attachment 202343View attachment 202339
Did Santa Claus bring your boy something to graduate from the stick like a BB gun?

Did Santa Claus bring your boy something to graduate from the stick like a BB gun?
He's got a BB gun and a Savage Rascal, oh and a little compound bow too. We're still working on safety and he hasn't graduated to carrying his own yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back