Plant ID Help... Poison Ivy?

If I see Poison Ivy I get it bad. My dad could walk through it in a pair of shorts and not even get a little rash. Usually have to go to the clinic at least once a year for a shot. Steroid cream helps a lot as well.

“My“ turkey fields are nothing but poison ivy undergrowth in the trees that ring the ag fields. I react strongly to poison ivy exposure, but when I take appropriate steps I rarely have a rash.

When I get back to the car, I rub Tech-Nu lotion all any part of skin that might have been exposed....hands, forearms neck, face. I wear gloves no matter how warm the temps, but find myself taking them off for smartphone use, and bathroom breaks. I let the lotion set for a minute and then paper towel off. I reapply a thin layer again and start driving. Five minutes into the drive and a second paper towel dry.

First thing on arriving home I take a shower with two full body soap applications. If somehow I missed some demon ivy oil, once it commences to itch I will slather on Tech-Nu On that spot, alternating with a numbing topical steroid ointment.

I have been known to wear breathable chest waders if I’m planning to wade into poison ivy patches like OP first full growth photos.

I started itching just looking at those pictures. I don't have a lot of experience with poison ivy but since I worked in the woods of southwest Oregon most of my life it means I have had poison oak rashes somewhere on my body pretty much all the time. Not so much now that I am retired but I do have a little patch on my arm right now. Not sure where I got it but there are a couple of possible places. Before I started working in the woods I didn't have a problem with it so I didn't pay any attention to what it looked like. One nice spring day my girlfriend (now wife) and I went for a little hike. She came down with a nasty rash over 90% of here body. Boy was she miserable. Years later after I had learned what poison oak looked like we were looking at old pictures from that hike. I had her posing, sitting on a big rock. Other than her and that rock there wasn't much else in the photo other than the jungle of poison oak. OOPS.

I get exposed almost every year. It grows like a carpet many places I bowhunt in IA. A hot shower with dishsoap helps get it off my skin, then deep water hot cycle washing machine with Tide for any clothes, bedsheets and seat covers exposed.
I know what you mean here in Iowa. I keep some rubbing alcohol with me. If I think I've been in I just wash hands and arms real good. Seems to cut the oils off my skin whenever I can't wash up good in the field.

I started itching just looking at those pictures. I don't have a lot of experience with poison ivy but since I worked in the woods of southwest Oregon most of my life it means I have had poison oak rashes somewhere on my body pretty much all the time. Not so much now that I am retired but I do have a little patch on my arm right now. Not sure where I got it but there are a couple of possible places. Before I started working in the woods I didn't have a problem with it so I didn't pay any attention to what it looked like. One nice spring day my girlfriend (now wife) and I went for a little hike. She came down with a nasty rash over 90% of here body. Boy was she miserable. Years later after I had learned what poison oak looked like we were looking at old pictures from that hike. I had her posing, sitting on a big rock. Other than her and that rock there wasn't much else in the photo other than the jungle of poison oak. OOPS.

This is why I haven't learned to hunt the Applegate unit. Poison oak jumps at me so I stick to higher elevations in the Cascades.

This is why I haven't learned to hunt the Applegate unit. Poison oak jumps at me so I stick to higher elevations in the Cascades.
People say I'm crazy but I'll swear I have had that stuff reach out and grab me. Totally unprovoked it just wraps itself around your legs, arms or neck.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back