Caribou Gear

Plant ID Help... Poison Ivy?

If I see Poison Ivy I get it bad. My dad could walk through it in a pair of shorts and not even get a little rash. Usually have to go to the clinic at least once a year for a shot. Steroid cream helps a lot as well.

“My“ turkey fields are nothing but poison ivy undergrowth in the trees that ring the ag fields. I react strongly to poison ivy exposure, but when I take appropriate steps I rarely have a rash.

When I get back to the car, I rub Tech-Nu lotion all any part of skin that might have been exposed....hands, forearms neck, face. I wear gloves no matter how warm the temps, but find myself taking them off for smartphone use, and bathroom breaks. I let the lotion set for a minute and then paper towel off. I reapply a thin layer again and start driving. Five minutes into the drive and a second paper towel dry.

First thing on arriving home I take a shower with two full body soap applications. If somehow I missed some demon ivy oil, once it commences to itch I will slather on Tech-Nu On that spot, alternating with a numbing topical steroid ointment.

I have been known to wear breathable chest waders if I’m planning to wade into poison ivy patches like OP first full growth photos.

I started itching just looking at those pictures. I don't have a lot of experience with poison ivy but since I worked in the woods of southwest Oregon most of my life it means I have had poison oak rashes somewhere on my body pretty much all the time. Not so much now that I am retired but I do have a little patch on my arm right now. Not sure where I got it but there are a couple of possible places. Before I started working in the woods I didn't have a problem with it so I didn't pay any attention to what it looked like. One nice spring day my girlfriend (now wife) and I went for a little hike. She came down with a nasty rash over 90% of here body. Boy was she miserable. Years later after I had learned what poison oak looked like we were looking at old pictures from that hike. I had her posing, sitting on a big rock. Other than her and that rock there wasn't much else in the photo other than the jungle of poison oak. OOPS.

I get exposed almost every year. It grows like a carpet many places I bowhunt in IA. A hot shower with dishsoap helps get it off my skin, then deep water hot cycle washing machine with Tide for any clothes, bedsheets and seat covers exposed.
I know what you mean here in Iowa. I keep some rubbing alcohol with me. If I think I've been in I just wash hands and arms real good. Seems to cut the oils off my skin whenever I can't wash up good in the field.

I started itching just looking at those pictures. I don't have a lot of experience with poison ivy but since I worked in the woods of southwest Oregon most of my life it means I have had poison oak rashes somewhere on my body pretty much all the time. Not so much now that I am retired but I do have a little patch on my arm right now. Not sure where I got it but there are a couple of possible places. Before I started working in the woods I didn't have a problem with it so I didn't pay any attention to what it looked like. One nice spring day my girlfriend (now wife) and I went for a little hike. She came down with a nasty rash over 90% of here body. Boy was she miserable. Years later after I had learned what poison oak looked like we were looking at old pictures from that hike. I had her posing, sitting on a big rock. Other than her and that rock there wasn't much else in the photo other than the jungle of poison oak. OOPS.

This is why I haven't learned to hunt the Applegate unit. Poison oak jumps at me so I stick to higher elevations in the Cascades.

This is why I haven't learned to hunt the Applegate unit. Poison oak jumps at me so I stick to higher elevations in the Cascades.
People say I'm crazy but I'll swear I have had that stuff reach out and grab me. Totally unprovoked it just wraps itself around your legs, arms or neck.

Back