Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Plans with your dog this year

TwistedSage

Hunting season is right around the corner, what are you planning on hunting with your dog this year?

In rough order Ella and I are getting ready for

Dove in NM
Dusky grouse NM
Waterfowl NM, TX
Pheasant- not sure where yet but we're going
Quail NM

What's in the hopper for you and your pooch this hunting season?

Ready to hit the road,
20210710_180028.jpg

Can’t wait to see pictures of Ella in the field!
Really hoping to get some good pictures and document our trips better. I'm so bad at fumbling with my phone to get a picture I hardly ever use it. I think I'm going to go with a rugged waterproof compact camera to clip on my vest this year.

Ruger is five this year...he turned it on last year like I haven't seen out of him in previous seasons, looking forward to September.

September - Sharpies/huns/dove
October - Sharpies/Duck
Nov.-Dec. - Pheasants

Sage grouse, sharptail, and huns in my valley. Assuming there are any. Cover is especially an issue.

Sage grouse out around ________.

Sharptail and huns over by ________.

Im not planning on shooting any of them (again) this season, just killing whatever fails to outfly a falcon.

I have the 1 year old vizsla going into her first real season. Luckily, last season was a good year for birds. I was able to get her 3-4 good points per week on huns and grouse (both species) beginning in December at 5mo thru to March when they started pairing up. Itd be tough starting a dog this season so I am glad she got the experience last - I might have had to resort to pigeon training (yuck) or game farm birds (double yuck!).

My 10 year old pup knows the drill and is still hunting hard (but more slowly). She will get more rest days this years which will help her joints (even tho she doesnt think she needs the rest, even when she is limping around).

Good luck, everyone. Hope your seasons go great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back