plans for pack frames

wandering monk

Hello , New poster...does any one have any plans to build a frame for packing out meat...using plywood and webbing material etc...I have a few ideas...and dont think the material is too heavy, and it is quite strong. I need something for short to medium distances(up to 1-2 miles) something I can use myself in areas where you cant use a 4 wheeler etc. I dont have access to horses.

I generally keep my hunting to withing a mile or so of my vehicle or camp.

thanks very much...

I got one of these this year after using my buddy's last year t pack 1.5 elk out about 2 miles each way.... http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/outdoorz/products/packs/commander-pack-bag You can get them off ebay etc for just over $100, I was accepted as a product tester and got the whole set up for about $60 after getting a partial refund for testing. Packs well and the bag is big. Comes with a nice little accessory/spares pack. Not as nice as a MR, buuuuttttt for the money with a lifetime guarrantee it is a good deal, at least to me. Good luck!

I bought one complete at Gander Mountain for 45 bucks, it is not the best in the world but it works on the budget. I have seen them about the same price at Sportsmans warehouse

Bought some aluminum pack frames on Craigslist, sometimes have had to buy a group, but donated the frames I didn't want to local scouts. Never paid more than 20 bucks, amd I don't think I could build one for that. I know it's not the question you asked, but its a good alternative to the higher priced packs marketed for hunters.

thanks very much for the replys...lots of options, even some ideas for sizes , if i decide to try and make my own. I have this picture in my head of something from a nat geo show or an old outdoor life story by Jack O'Connor or something...however good deals are always welcome.

a screwed and glued plywood shell was my idea, using some webbing from a boat tie down for straps...or even some old seat belts. I enjoy making my own stuff for hunting and fishing...bows&arrows , bamboo fly rods even knives...

the idea was to make something that could also be used on a horse(I would make a pair) the second one could be used by a partner on a hunt as well.

when I get something done I will post a pic...

With all the comercial frames out there that for the prices they can be had for, I can't see developing/making one of these. Sure, some of the top names are costly, but most cheaper externals will work and would definitely be more comfortable than anything I'd build.

This one from LL Bean has gotten good reviews from some avid users and it's $80.
265101_888_41

I had one of the LL Bean Carryalls, and it didn't impress me. You can get a Kelty Cache Hauler on sale for $90 shipped if you shop around. It is a better frame than the Cabelas alaskan outfitter or either of the Dana/K2 Loadmaster frames I had.

Native, I've spent some time with one of those on my back. No thanks, ill just duct tape the quarter to my back before that

You can get a surplus back frame/board at a surplus store complete with straps for under $50.00 if you add some 550 cord you can't beat it IMO.

its really not necessarily about cost...although of course wasting money is never good.

the idea of making something yourself is a major plus for me. Nowadays it seems that having all the cool gear is very important. I dont quite believe in that...as a matter of fact after watching some of the shows and all the commercials I tend to head the other direction even more. Especially when you have been a carpenter/cabinet maker for 40 plus years, which might have something to do with it too...LOL...;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back