Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pittman-Robertson Unconstitutional?

I see both sides of this issue. I am happy to pay the tax but you have to admit a bit unfair. If you were purchasing a gun for sport or protection why should you foot the bill for spotsman?
I can’t comment on other states but in PA. A lot of the people that purchase firearms for non hunting reasons practice and shoot on a lot of public ranges paid for and maintained from hunting license dollars. Now in the last couple of years they do require the shooting public to purchase a permit or hunting license. So before that the only way they contributed was the PRtax I’m for it.

A lot of the people that purchase firearms for non hunting reasons practice and shoot on a lot of public ranges paid for and maintained from hunting license dollars.
So y'all have public ranges out East that arent just a stick and a soda pop can?

I guess that is why I don't see it as an attack on sportsmen. If that tax was put on everything in an REI store, I would. We pay for tags and licenses and I know that's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it's above and beyond what everybody else pays.

Yes it's a shame. Unfortunately a similar tax wouldn't work for bicycles, snowboarders and tents because the people engaged in those activities aren't really conservationists like most firearm purchasers.
IMO, they/we should pay some form of land/water use stamp vs charge a tax on firearms.
If people use firearms on our public lands... they/we too pony up for a use stamp.
If not... no bueno. For now, it helps. It (tax) should be modified to fit use.

IMO, they/we should pay some form of land/water use stamp vs charge a tax on firearms.
If people use firearms on our public lands... they/we too pony up for a use stamp.
If not... no bueno. For now, it helps. It (tax) should be modified to fit use.
Makes sense. Here in CO you need a hunting or fishing license to access SWA/STL. You can recreate however you wish per the rules of the property, but you need a license.

While we tend to focus on the wildlife conservation aspect of PR dollars, the funding also goes towards gun ranges, hunter education and the development of infrastructure to help enhance outdoor recreation.

So it's not just wildlife that benefit from PR, it's everyone, and an aspect to find & recruit new hunters was added last year, iirc.

I guess that is why I don't see it as an attack on sportsmen. If that tax was put on everything in an REI store, I would. We pay for tags and licenses and I know that's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it's above and beyond what everybody else pays.
🤦‍♂️ This comment is so indicative of the problems of our country right now.

Nothing is done for public benefit anymore it’s all about me, and why don’t they have to... 🤮

Massive increase in toll roads because no one wants to pay for infrastructure.

Privitize everything and only pay for what you use. Cool bro enjoy your 10k Rhode Island high fence ek hunt. Cause with that kind of attitude that’s what your going to be left with.

Pittman-Robertson is probably one of the best pieces of legislation in the history of our country. It identified conservation as an issue and specifically funded it, putting in place thoughtful mechanism to block shenanigans. Tax money doesn’t get put into a general fund to be diverted to the pet projects of whichever president is in power. Further, it safe guards our hunting license dollars at a state level. Because of PR states can’t sell elk tags and then use the money to prop up healthcare or build a football stadium. They have to use it on wildlife.

Yeah I wish mtbikers paid for conservation, but I want elk on the ground for future generations so I’m going to support the conservation work of generations of Americans.

🤦‍♂️ This comment is so indicative of the problems of our country right now.

Nothing is done for public benefit anymore it’s all about me, and why don’t they have to... 🤮

Massive increase in toll roads because no one wants to pay for infrastructure.

Privitize everything and only pay for what you use. Cool bro enjoy your 10k Rhode Island high fence ek hunt. Cause with that kind of attitude that’s what your going to be left with.

Pittman-Robertson is probably one of the best pieces of legislation in the history of our country. It identified conservation as an issue and specifically funded it, putting in place thoughtful mechanism to block shenanigans. Tax money doesn’t get put into a general fund to be diverted to the pet projects of whichever president is in power. Further, it safe guards our hunting license dollars at a state level. Because of PR states can’t sell elk tags and then use the money to prop up healthcare or build a football stadium. They have to use it on wildlife.

Yeah I wish mtbikers paid for conservation, but I want elk on the ground for future generations so I’m going to support the conservation work of generations of Americans.
I agree with your comments for the most part, is there risk regarding increases in firearm taxation (perhaps separate from PR which I wholly support) based on who's in office? Is there a potential path to increase taxation on firearms to prevent ownership? Seems a great and sneaky way to hobble 2A. I would think it would take some "perfect storm" type happenings for that to ever occur, no tin foil hat, but is it a potential risk needing acknowledgment?

A bit of a tangent but last year's gun control bill included $800 per gun per year "insurance" payments to the AG so it's clear there is some scheming going on for the anti 2A establishment.

Last edited:
Back