Pittman-Robertson Unconstitutional?

SixPoint

Brad Tschida from Missoula seems to think so. His House Resolution claims it is unconstitutional to tax firearms. Weird right? You would think that as a self proclaimed public land advocate and hunter Mr. Tschida would have a great understanding and respect for PR dollars and know how critical that funding is to each state. Please feel free to educate this duly elected official:

Primary ph: (406) 546-4349

Email: [email protected]

Link to Resolution: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billpdf/HJ0005.pdf

Brad Tschida from Missoula seems to think so. His House Resolution claims it is unconstitutional to tax firearms. Weird right? You would think that as a self proclaimed public land advocate and hunter Mr. Tschida would have a great understanding and respect for PR dollars and know how critical that funding is to each state. Please feel free to educate this duly elected official:

Just when you think the bar is as low as it can go you get something like this.

Really tried to figure out what this could be...

Is Mr. Tschida convinced that Biden will make all guns or possibly just ARs party to the NFA, such that you would need to purchase a $200 stamp to own one.

Essentially, throwing ARs in with suppressors?

Also article I section 8 and all that

Really tried to figure out what this could be...

Is Mr. Tschida convinced that Biden will make all guns or possibly just ARs party to the NFA, such that you would need to purchase a $200 stamp to own one.

Essentially, throwing ARs in with suppressors?

Also article I section 8 and all that

Sone legislators virtue signal more than a college freshman after their first semester of Psych 101. This is companion legislation to a bill that would disallow local law enforcement from enforcing federal gun laws, which is unconstitutional on it's face, and really stupid in practice. But this is about the proposed Biden gun tax & such. It's red meat for the base to get riled up about, while doing absolutely nothing but telling the USFWS that MT doesn't really want that PR funding.

Most legislators aren't the brightest bulbs anymore. They're normal, everyday people who convince 51% of the 50% of the people who vote to vote for them. Their ignorance around issues like this, compiled with extremist lobby teams like MT Shooting Sports Assn, give us bills like this. Remember, Tschida is the guy who wanted to eliminate public comment on wildlife management for everyone but ranchers & outfitters last session while singling out the Human Dimensions staff person for FWP to try and fire him by cutting his funding entirely.

That bill was written by Kerry White, this bill is written by Gary Marbut. This is the biggest problem with term limits - we have given idiots, lobbyists and the self-centered the keys to legislating. All of the institutional knowledge is now either in the hands of lobbyists or gov't employees. That's bad new for good legislation.

I’m tired of hearing the complaints of people about the “hidden” tax when it comes to purchasing a firearm because it doesn’t show up on the receipt since it’s already figured into the price.
I have no issues whatsoever on paying it but I am also an outdoor enthusiast and know what it goes to and I support it.
Apparently there are plenty of people out there who truly feel it is unconstitutional because they aren’t in favor of the money going to support something that they don’t want to enjoy in their lives. The example of a low income individual on government assistance who just wants a firearm for self defense but can’t afford the additional % of PR added into the cost is total nonsense.
I would like to go ranting a lot further but it will just make me come off as an insensitive asshole.

I see both sides of this issue. I am happy to pay the tax but you have to admit a bit unfair. If you were purchasing a gun for sport or protection why should you foot the bill for spotsman?

I see both sides of this issue. I am happy to pay the tax but you have to admit a bit unfair. If you were purchasing a gun for sport or protection why should you foot the bill for spotsman?
Though I hope every person, sportsman or not, would see it reasonable, I think you raise a good point.

I think it's a lesser of evils thing. I'd rather it be a voluntary tax then having to account for it through other taxes. And I think the cause is important. Plus, a large portion of those who purchase any sort of firearm are involved in, or at least appreciate, wildlife and wildlife related activities.

Though I hope every person, sportsman or not, would see it reasonable, I think you raise a good point.

I think it's a lesser of evils thing. I'd rather it be a voluntary tax then having to account for it through other taxes. And I think the cause is important. Plus, a large portion of those who purchase any sort of firearm are involved in, or at least appreciate, wildlife and wildlife related activities.
I totally agree, but it makes me think of mountain bikers, campers, hikers, and water recreation issues that pay very little to nothing.

I totally agree, but it makes me think of mountain bikers, campers, hikers, and water recreation issues that pay very little to nothing.
Yes it's a shame. Unfortunately a similar tax wouldn't work for bicycles, snowboarders and tents because the people engaged in those activities aren't really conservationists like most firearm purchasers.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back