Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pistol Optics?

Steiny

Browsing the gun shops I've become interested in one of these little rectangular or square glass sights that mounts approx. where rear sight would be, and has a little illuminated dot you put on the target. They look pretty compact and durable and like you could get them on target real quick. As I've aged I have more difficulty keeping the front sight sharp with the naked eye for aiming.

Any thoughts on these, recommendations, pros & cons?
Note - This would just be for a personal defense or plinking firearm, nothing for hunting.

Thanks !

We sell a bunch of them.....the Vortex, Sig and Holosun options are the most popular. I have used them at our range days and my opinion is that they are great for target shooting but I see zero need/use for them in personal defense situations. It will necessitate you to practice extensively to adjust to the much different target acquisition.

These are rec's to look at
Holosun 407s and 507s
Sig Romeo Zero
Leupold DPOs

They are good, but you will get worse before you get better. Unless you have a real flat press, it likely will take some refinement of your draw cycle to efficiently acquire the dot. I probably have 1500rnds through my Glock 19 w/Trijicon RMR, and I am pretty quick with it now, and with slow-ish fire can hit a man-sized silhouette at 100yds every time.

As for brands, the only one I have enough experience where I would be confident recommending is the Trijicon RMR.

Last, do you have a pistol with a slide milled for a reflex sight? If not you should be looking for a good smith/machinist who has experience in that.

First off I have never owned one of these sights your talking about. For plinking and fun shooting I think they would be good. For self defense they can be helpful but I have some questions.

1st is it on or do you have to turn it on?
2nd What is the battery life?
3rd do you have use of your iron sights?
4th Are your iron sights "night sights"

Lazer sights are another option but you still have to consider questions 1&2. For self defense a good quality set of night sights should be your first consideration and the other options a add on to compliment the night sights not replace them.

Dan

1st is it on or do you have to turn it on? It is always on.
2nd What is the battery life? A little over a year so far.
3rd do you have use of your iron sights? Nope. You need suppressor height sights if you want to be able to use them through the window.
4th Are your iron sights "night sights" Yes they are. Ameriglo Pros.

As for the thoughts about Reflex/Lasers/Night sights. IMHO, I think a good set of night sights is the simplest option and paired with a good light the best setup for most folks. Now for those who train more, a reflex sight has the potential to take you to the next level, but requires maintenance of your skills.

If personal defense is part of your criteria... Best to inquire about conceal holsters capable of securing with select optics.

Always found tritium green rear and orange front to be great. No issue with the conceal holsters and no issue with batteries.

Nice optics as shown above are great for range. A challenge for carry options for personal defense.

I have the Leupold delta point pro in stock and many of the Holosun models. Give me a PM. My kid put a Holosun 507 on his Glock and I was impressed enough to get a few in stock

They have their distinct pros and cons. For most, using for personal defense, they would likely be a detriment unless you practice extensively. They are fun for shooting targets.

I'm not saying it's wrong to use them for self defense. That is a personal choice. But for me, it's just one more thing that can go wrong when the chit hits the fan, and I have been there. Again, for me, I keep it simple and lots of practice. Only the original Glock night sights. No optics , attached lights, or extended mags.

I bought a Leupold Delta point pro for my glock 17. It is my first optic of this type and I read where it had a bigger glass and a bit easier to use than the Trijicon RMR which I am told is the gold standard. After I ordered it I sort of wished I had went with the Trijicon. After I got the Delta point I mounted it and I like it. Some have trouble finding the dot on this type of optic but I never have had any trouble. My next pistol will probably be smaller than the G17 and I will probably try the Trijicon just for kicks.
I got the higher iron sights so I can co witness through the optic should the dot not light up in that shtf situation. I have astigmatism and find it hard to use iron sights. The red dot solved that problem for me. I had my reservations.

I have a holoson on my 365xl. I shoot it probably once a week 100ish rounds or so. I carry it concealed and like it. If the dot fails it has a built in rear sight so you can still use irons. I love a dot on a handgun now.

Back