Pistol for CCW

I find the trigger on the M&P difficult to use effectively unless I really concentrate.

The Sig will have a nice trigger, although I've not tried the 320. Every other Sig I've fired has been excellent in terms accuracy and trigger pull, but they don't work as well for a lefty.

With the Gen 4 Glocks, you can change out the backstraps to make it fit your hand (as with the M&P). I know you didn't like the Glock, but it might be worth a second look. I've found their trigger to be better than the M&P.

As others have said, if you can rent a bunch, do it and select the one you shoot best, and are most comfortable with. As with your hunting arms, practice and become proficient with it.

Anyone recommend looking at the sig 320 yet?

I actually had a chance to shoot the 320 and a FNX-45 Tactical last week. The only part of the 320 I didn't care for was that it seemed like Sig didn't take advantage of this being a striker fired pistol, considering they really didn't lower the bore axis; which has a big impact on felt recoil and getting your sights back on target. IMO, the biggest advantage of a striker pistol is that the mechanism is more compact and the barrel can ride just over the web of the hand, giving the shooter maximum mechanical advantage over the pistol's recoil.

That being said, it was a still a nice shooting pistol, and if they could have cut the additional .3in of height from the top of the frame, and lowered the slide, it would be a Glock killer.

I don't have big hands, but the XDs carried well for me. If you like the XD series, maybe try the XDm. Other options Ive thought about were the S&W Shield, or the Kahr.

Mis-read your original post. I have the XDS in 45 and love it. With you already having the XD it would make sense just to grab an XDS if you like your XD.

They had a rally in Helena today, but I didn't need a gun.

12734109_10208354031675754_4749729346211223287_n.jpg

I had a P2000 a few years ago and I sold it. I kick myself constantly for that. My main reason for wanting .45 ACP is just for compatibility with what I currently have. I like my XD but the XDs feels really small in my hand. I have been looking at the H&K P30. I haven't had a chance to look at the SIG yet.

If a double stack .45 XD feels really small in your hand, you might be in trouble, as anything thinner (single stack) is going to feel even smaller.

FWIW some of the considerations I look at for concealed pistol:
1. Overall size. LxWxH. To me it speaks to concealability. Ex: my P2000 subcompact .40 has about the same overall size as my Glock23.
2. Grip feel. Can I get a full grip (2.5 fingers v 3), reach the mag release?, general feel. Also, I don't like grip safeties on a carry pistol, in a panic, getting a consistent grip can't be counted on, and if it doesn't engage the gun don't go boom.
3. Simplicity. To go further I don't want any kind of other safety either (the exceptions would be trigger safeties).
4. Sights. Obviously highvis, and night sights if possible. Non-ramped rear sight, so you can hook it on your belt/clothing/object, to run the slide.
5. Recoil management. I would rather have a pistol that gets the sights realigned quicker, allowing for 2-10 rounds on a paper plate real quick. If it shoot 2in groups at 25m, great, but that isn't real critical.

The XD feels good, it is the XDs that feels really small, and sub compacts even with grip extensions still are not great. I have night sights now and love them. I also like the longer sight radius of 4" over a 3.3".

How much experience do you guys have with 357 sig? I know the rounds are a little more pricey, but they really aren't that bad. The ballistics look really interesting.

Back