Pine nuts are irresistible, apparently

sierrahunter

I was hunting a meadow in the Sierra Nevada recently, and could hear the sound of branches breaking down the hill. I hoped to find bears foraging for termites and grubs in downed trees, but had a hard time pinpointing the location. Then I realized the sound was coming from above. I looked up to discover two bears perched about eighty feet up in a pine tree. They were foraging for pine nuts within the cones of the tree. It was a crazy thing to see, but it got even more bizarre.

As I neared the tree, one of the bears lost its footing and fell out of the tree, straight to the ground. It was surreal. It seemed like the bear was falling in slow motion with its feet straight up, until the bear hit the forest floor with a brutal thud. I walked up to the tree to determine the fate of the bear, and found a bear sow and a cub at the base of the tree tearing apart pine cones that had fallen from the bears above. Needless to say, I backed out of there, and may never know the outcome of that fall. I've included a link to a video of one bear in the tree (the one with better balance), and another of a sow and cubs I saw about an hour later higher up the mountain.

Bear in tree:

Sow with cubs:

Yep, pine nuts are delicious and high in good fat. Pick, boil in salt water and roast..... Mmmmmm! mmmmm!

It's been years (spent a few years as a kid with my G-parents in NM) and it was an every year outing back then to pick pine nuts.

Seriously? Guy tells a story about a bear falling 80 feet and you comment about the quality taste of the nuts lol Man that's some crazy stuff, I guess those nuts really are that good!

Seriously? Guy tells a story about a bear falling 80 feet and you comment about the quality taste of the nuts lol Man that's some crazy stuff, I guess those nuts really are that good!
Yeah. Seriously. Bet that bear is alive today. mtmuley

My only good bigfoot story involves a (probably mostly likely) black bear leaping from a tree from about 30 feet high down hill across the trail. Landed with a huge thud that you could literally feel in the ground, we thought for sure it'd be laying there knocked out, didn't hear it run off or anything, but it was gone.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back