Pigeons- they gotta go

If you want to have a live thread that gives the infamous marmot hunt a run for it's money, you could always go the falcon route. Neighbors will probably have no idea what falconry is and just watch in horror as the pigeons start falling out of the sky.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anyone mention .22 shot shells. Their range is limited but they work great on birds and no stray bullets. Set a feeder up close to a window. No one will even see you.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anyone mention .22 shot shells. Their range is limited but they work great on birds and no stray bullets. Set a feeder up close to a window. No one will even see you.
In my experience, fairly extensive, I find they don't kill a house sparrow reliably past 15 feet. No way I would take on Pigeons with them.

Tell your neighbors that pigeon flatulence is a major contributor of climate change and that the pigeon is the emblem of GOP. They'll probably go to town on the pigeons. Tom Sawyer approach.

They do make those whisper pellet guns now.
Yep, they are called wrist rockets.
At the sound of my pellet gun, all Roadrunners come running!
Problem solved, except during Quail or Dove season.
Then it's a race for the prize.TOE'S FOR LUNCH 20'.jpgI don't scare easy, but they get that look in their eye...ya' know?

After dip netting dead pigeons out of our chemical vats, maintenance screened the windows. Problem was, they didn't get rid of the pigeons first! 😠!
On a Friday afternoon, I asked the Maintenance Chief if he had a plan to get rid of the pigeons. Knowing I was a shooter, He winked and said, "No, but if they're gone Monday, I won't complain."
I showed up Saturday with a Ruger M7722, a Single-Six and a butt load of rat shot!
Believe it or not, the Single-Six was the real deal. The little bolt rifle was pretty much a waste of time.
Monday morning? Not one living pigeon remained. There was a feed sack about half full of dead pigeons in the dumpster over by the pump building.

Pigeons - "sky rats"

Reactions: JDH
When I was researching this last year I came across a trap that was just a wooden a frame type deal with a place for them to land on top and then drop in. The opening was probably 4 inches maybe. Once they drop in they can't fly out cause the openings too small when their wings are open. Chicken wire for sides, or bird enclosure netting would work too. I found it on YouTube, but I can't find it again unfortunately.

I liked it bc many of your non target birds could get in and out. It would probably help to condition them to the bait without the trap first too. I'd go straight bait first with no trap, then I'd design a hinge on the trap so I could have the top wide open and let em come in and out freely. Then I'd close it up and make em drop in.

Our state laws in Wyoming allow trapping of pigeons and collared doves if I recall.

Last edited:
In my experience, fairly extensive, I find they don't kill a house sparrow reliably past 15 feet. No way I would take on Pigeons with them.
I've shot the 357/38 shot shells. Wasn't impressed at all even at like 15 feet.

Yep, they are called wrist rockets.
At the sound of my pellet gun, all Roadrunners come running!
Problem solved, except during Quail or Dove season.
Then it's a race for the prize.View attachment 176090I don't scare easy, but they get that look in their eye...ya' know?

I've only ever seen a few in the wild but man those are some cool little birds.

When I was researching this last year I came across a trap that was just a wooden a frame type deal with a place for them to land on top and then drop in. The opening was probably 4 inches maybe. Once they drop in they can't fly out cause the openings too small when their wings are open. Chicken wire for sides, or bird enclosure netting would work too. I found it on YouTube, but I can't find it again unfortunately.

I liked it bc many of your non target birds could get in and out. It would probably help to condition them to the bait without the trap first too. I'd go straight bait first with no trap, then I'd design a hinge on the trap so I could have the top wide open and let em come in and out freely. Then I'd close it up and make em drop in.

Our state laws in Wyoming allow trapping of pigeons and collared doves if I recall.
In Texas and Oklahoma, the "collared" dove is also called a rock dove, Mexican dove and several other aliases! LOL!
They fall under the same season guidelines as feral hogs.
Season opens Jan. 1.
Season closes Dec. 31.
No bag limit.
No season limit.
No possession limit.
Shooting hours are whenever you find them!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back