Picking up skulls, sheds horns in CO?

bigdogg2278

Can anyone point me in the right direction is it legal to pick up any sheds or horns we find in CO either elk, deer ram etc. during our hunting trip?

It's legal.....I emailed the DOW on year after finding a matching set of huge elk antlers. The only restrictions that I know of pertain to certain areas and time of year.

Shed hunting is legal although some units are closed in the winter/early spring to protect herds. You cant just pick up a bighorn sheep horns (horns so not shed). Also the laws regarding picking up dead sheep heads are a bit more complicated.

You can pick up deadheads in Colorado, even bighorn sheep. The only time it is complicated is if it is a roadkill or otherwise fresh. You must get a permit to pick up roadkill, and it would be wise to contact CPW if you find a somewhat fresh deadhead.

I figured sheds were fine, i saw the one section on the closed areas, i was more concerned if i found a sheep head i remember watching the episode of Randy hunting in Montana and they couldnt pick them up there so i wasnt sure about Co. Ill probably shoot them an email to be 100% positive.

I am surprised that Big Horn is legal. In New Mexico, even if shot legally, you have to take to NMG&F. Big Horn needs to be capitalized.

With a bighorn deadhead you still have to present it to the DOW to be plugged, which includes exact location of carcass because they will go verify the cause of death. Fresh roadkill, or recent kill you had better call first. It is illegal to possess a skull that hasn't been plugged within so many days though....

Actually CPW will not plug a bighorn deadhead, and it is illegal to sell one that is not plugged. You may possess them, though.

Actually CPW will not plug a bighorn deadhead, and it is illegal to sell one that is not plugged. You may possess them, though.
A pard picked one up in CO and took it to the CPW for a plug and they did as you said. He did get a letter from them acknowledging that it was legal for him to pick it up and posses it. He asked for that as he was taking it out of state and to one that, I think, requires them to be plugged.

Yeah I think Dink's right it's totally illegal and I heard that unit 52 is closed to mule deer hunting this season as well ;)

You lucky bastards. That situation was the worst internal conflict I've ever experienced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back