MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pick a state to become a resident ...

That's hilarious...yeah WYOTECH really brings in the culture let me tell you.

It's tough to believe you used Laramie and hipsterific in the same post.
WYotech was interesting. Nothing like the peaceful sounds of brodozers belching black smoke out on the ol grand avenue from the dorms.

They certainly brought a culture clash to parties. But theyre grossly outnumbered by college kids.
Maybe my datums changed a lot after moving to MT. Laramie isnt quite missoula in terms of "culture" or lack of showers - ill give you that. lol

this is a very legitimate question: i'm curious how you would rank the relative scale of many of the primary wyoming towns?

i mean, by some standards laramie may indeed be a joke, but would you take cheyenne over it? casper? cody? all things considered like services and amenities.
If you need anything other than the basics, and I mean the basics, good luck.

Want a new dish washer, dryer, freezer? Well, better hop on-line or drive to Cheyenne or Fort Collins. Want to buy a new vehicle? Yep, about a 1-10 chance they MAY have something you want, if there is a dealership here that carries the vehicle you want. If not, you're heading East or South, once again.

Like Coffee shops, yeah, about 3 choices. Restaurants? Oh, about half a dozen that are worth going to twice.

This place is the dead sea for a lot of things that you SHOULD be able to get in a town this size. The City Council thwarts any kind of growth in businesses at all.

The local hospital rolls staff about every 2-3 years seems like, but again, if you need specialized care, it's close to Fort Collins and Denver.

WYotech was interesting. Nothing like the peaceful sounds of brodozers belching black smoke out on the ol grand avenue from the dorms.

They certainly brought a culture clash to parties. But theyre grossly outnumbered by college kids.
Maybe my datums changed a lot after moving to MT. Laramie isnt quite missoula in terms of "culture" or lack of showers - ill give you that. lol
A lot of shower lacking going on here in Missoula!

Want a new dish washer, dryer, freezer? Well, better hop on-line or drive to Cheyenne or Fort Collins. Want to buy a new vehicle? Yep, about a 1-10 chance they MAY have something you want, if there is a dealership here that carries the vehicle you want. If not, you're heading East or South, once again.

Like Coffee shops, yeah, about 3 choices. Restaurants? Oh, about half a dozen that are worth going to twice.

This place is the dead sea for a lot of things that you SHOULD be able to get in a town this size. The City Council thwarts any kind of growth in businesses at all.

The local hospital rolls staff about every 2-3 years seems like, but again, if you need specialized care, it's close to Fort Collins and Denver.
You are right about that - one thing though - its hard to compare sizes of towns in other places to wyoming. There are almost no rural people or other towns within driving distance - relatively speaking. The only people that do much commerce exchange in the cities live within them.

I thought you were trying to down-sell Laramie?

When I went to school in Laramie, it was by far and away more hipster than anywhere that wasn't Lander or Jackson. There were all kinds of new places that served Sysco food, Coffee houses where bad art from people who left your town 2 years ago was hanging, Pizza! and a place called the Library that was - get this - really a bar & grill!

Man. Those were heady days. The world was new and fresh, and so was a place that made bagels in house & served ice cream too!

But it's no Lander, with the Cowfish and pretentious hippies with 6 day stank from the Winds (KNOLS ruined that town), and it most assuredly isn't J-Hole, with the $85 burgers and $30 martinis.

It's just a ditch weed college town where rural kids go to get their horizons broadened a tiny bit.

If we’re strictly talking big game hunting, I think it’s hard not to rank Alaska #1. $30,000 NR hunts for the cost of a bush plane ride is quite a deal. But if we’re limiting this to Lower 48, Wyoming would be my easy choice.

Last edited:
There have been a few of these type of threads from a place to retire perspective. In some ways that is easier because you don't have to worry about the job situation.

I've been looking for a place in Wyoming to buy as a future retirement type deal for a while now. It has the best resident big game hunting in the lower 48 IMO.

Since my wife has been diagnosed with Parkinson's that really does put a kink in things. Pretty much limited to the southeast corner of the state where you could fight the traffic down to the Denver metro area for medical stuff.

No state income tax goes a long way compared to some of it's neighboring states.

I still look in Wyoming, I think if I end up buying a place there it will be a smaller property and not a big place.

As for which western state I'd want to move back too, it's still Montana. Wyoming would do as well. Idaho is too much like Idaho, CO is too much like CA and I'm not living in UT.

But central MT, probably close to Lewistown but not in town. Or Costa Rica, but there's no grouse in Costa Rica.

As for which western state I'd want to move back too, it's still Montana. Wyoming would do as well. Idaho is too much like Idaho, CO is too much like CA and I'm not living in UT.

But central MT, probably close to Lewistown but not in town. Or Costa Rica, but there's no grouse in Costa Rica.
I agree. Idaho sucks.

There have been a few of these type of threads from a place to retire perspective. In some ways that is easier because you don't have to worry about the job situation.

I've been looking for a place in Wyoming to buy as a future retirement type deal for a while now. It has the best resident big game hunting in the lower 48 IMO.

Since my wife has been diagnosed with Parkinson's that really does put a kink in things. Pretty much limited to the southeast corner of the state where you could fight the traffic down to the Denver metro area for medical stuff.

No state income tax goes a long way compared to some of it's neighboring states.

I still look in Wyoming, I think if I end up buying a place there it will be a smaller property and not a big place.
Sorry to hear about your wife. I have lost several Aunts/Uncles to that disease. In the final years you will want to be a lot closer to good med facilities than SE WY.

If I was 20 years younger with no care about $ or raising a family, I would say Alaska. As it is now, when retirement hits, the wife and I hope to have a place in Wyoming and Southern UT or AZ for the winters. I could get used to hunting elk, deer and antelope every year in Wyoming.

I'd love to retire in Idaho. But Wyoming from a hunting perspective seems like a really rad place to be too

If CO keeps going the direction it is... that move to ID may be happening the minute the little one graduates high school

Last edited:
I'd love to retire in Idaho. But Wyoming from a hunting perspective seems like a really rad place to be too

If CO keeps going the direction it is... that move to ID may be happening the minute the little one graduates high school
What MtnElk said!
Poulation growth, cost of housing and rising property tax should take CO off anyones list... this place is in a tailspin. ID is looking better by the day.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back