Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pic of recovered accubond.

Bambistew

This the bullet that did all the "damage" on my deer. It actually looks like a decent bullet, just wondering why it blew such a big hole! initial weight 140 grains, recovered weight, 99 grains 70% retention, 2 times diameter expansion.

bullet2.jpg

Bambistew,

Thanks for the pic. I was thinking about loading some accubond for next years hunts. Do you think they are as good of a bullet as Nosler claims or do you think Nosler is just trying to sell their product.

I sure don't see any problem here.
Looks much like some of the Partitions I've recovered over the years.
I have most of the collection re-seated (by hand of course) in the case from which they flew!
They become a nice secondary trophy to me. I scribe in the brass the date & critter that fell.
WD

The AB looks like a sucess to me. With the exit hole as large as pictured I'm wondering how you recovered it. Was it under the hide? Seems it should have passed through the hide with that much energy.

The bullet looks alot better than I thought it would based upon the pictures of the deer.

Bambistew,

Did you have any trouble getting a load for the Accu-Bonds? I made a quick attempt to switch from Partitions to Accu-Bonds, and ran out of time, but they shot like shit!!! For some reason, my gun likes the 160grain Partitions and the same size Accu-bonds wouldn't shoot. Maybe too long????

EG, the Accubond is probably a bit longer than the partition, but not enough to make any significant difference. I would be willing to bet that the Accubond prefers a bit hotter load than a partition of equivalent weight as do most Ballistic Tips prefer a hotter load than the equivalent partition. Next time, try bumping up your load 1/2 grain and see if it gets better.

:cool:

BS- I'd say it's okay. Most recovered partitions I've read about only retained approx. 60% and didn't open that wide. Was the hole on the entrance or exit side? I'm betting the big hole was due to the bullet being at it's most 'explosive' portion of expansion.

Ridge Runner, Nosler will have a 110 gr. 25 cal. AB out in December. Visit their reloading forum for information on other new bullets, brass, and rifles.

Gunner...

I had a little trouble at first with accuracy, but after fine tuning the COL, I was able to dial them right in. The 140's like to be real close and personal (0.010) to the lands while the 160's prefer to take a "leap of faith" as their set about 0.045 off the lands... I'm shooting 59gr of RL22 into about 3/4" of an inch or so with the 140's and shooting 57gr RL22 into the same POI as the 160's. I think the biggest group I got was only about 2.5 inches at a 100 though. Both loads are HOT so approach with caution should anyone try these. I started fiddling around with the 154 gr Hornady Interbonds, but got a good load to shoot with the Accubonds so I shelved those for now. I'll probably try to work up something with them for my 7mag or something. I was a little worried about getting the 160's to shoot as they are sooooo long, I wasn't sure if I could get them going fast enough with the 280 to stabilize them, but it seemed like the hotter the load the better they shot, which was to be expected. I'm sure they would really shine in a 7mag as you could push them about 150-200fps faster. I think they will be a great bullet in the long run... The bullet exhibits everything I could ask for in a bullet, explosive expansion, high retained weight, and better BC, which really means squat inside 300 yards, but sounds like I really know what I'm talking about... ;) I've been hearing good reports that the Interbonds are retaining about 80% of their weight, with good expansion as well.

I tried a slew of bullets for my 280 this summer, and by far the worst loads I had were the 160 XLC's, I was lucky to get a 3" group with those, and had some pressure issues even with moderate loads... I think I'll try those in the 7mag as well, I'm sure they would be better suited for it anyway.

One more thing, I got decent accuracy with IMR 4831 and also with RL19, but the RL22 seemed to be more consistent

BS- Tried any Barnes Triple Shocks? I haven't heard of too many folks having problems getting them to shoot. Besides, they're coming out with a 120gr BT! That should make that 280 shoot about like a lazer!!! hump

Nope, haven't tried any yet... My buddy is shooting the 160's in his 7mag with awesome results. I saw that they were going to come out with those 120 in .284 and I thought to myselft... hmmm now I have a prefectly good excuse to buy a 7-08 ;)

I was really impressed that Barnes stepped up and is going to come out with a 120gr 6.5mm TSX BT and a 225gr .358 TSX. Those two have me intrigued the most, I think it they would be the cats azz in my .260 and 35 Brown! So many bullets so little time...

B-Stew,

I think the point you made is that these bullets are going to take a bit of time on the bench and the range to get working. I have the advantage of starting with the 7mm, so I have a bit more speed than you do. We changed too many variables, and didn't have them all under control, and it was getting close to the time to load the rigs and the mules. Not only was I switching bullets, but I went from H4831 to 4350....

And the irony is that my Partitions shoot awesome, and can't really justify ever using a different bullet, as my Partitions have never "failed".... But the Accu-Bonds are new and "improved" and that is a bit "sexy".....

Big discussion about the Accubonds on the Nosler reloading forums and feedback from Nosler. They even got B-Stews deer highjacked as a example in one of them.

I purchased some accubonds this year as I didn't get time to load my own. I was shooting 165 grs, thru a 7mm, and was pleasantly surprised with their accuracy. My daughter used to to down her big bull with one shot, and I took my buck from 325 yards with it. The buck had a nice hole about the size of a golf ball at the exit hole..
Went thru the boiler room, so didn't hit too much, but done the job..
That hole in Bambistew's buck is amazing.... How did you find that bullet? With the size of the exit hole, I wouldn't have believed it would have stopped in the hide...
Looks like it performed well to me, and it did the job for you!
Thanks for the photos...very interesting...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back