MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Phone Scam this afternoon- interesting

Sagebrush1

We just had a doozy of a phone scam attempt. Said my wife missed a court date and had a warrant.

Guy called both me and my wife multiple times. He had enough info to plant a seed of doubt:
*her occupation
* her expert witness status
*both our numbers
*our home address
*a name and rank (of a real deputy per my google search) at the Weld County Sheriff.

There were a couple little details wrong so we didn’t give any information:
*Why is a sheriff calling Re: a federal court (I’m not knowledge on that subject, but it didn’t seem right)
*he had a day/time a summons was delivered-which didn’t happen.
*he could “clear it up” if we provided some info.
*he wouldn’t provide a badge #

But damn, he was pretty smoothe. He played it easy at first, then started with the scare tactics. I could see how someone could get rattled and mess up.

Be careful out there! I don’t know what the long game was, I’m assuming he was gonna ask for some financial info in regards to a “fine” or “fee” or something.

We called Weld County and told them what happened.

I have had those calls a few times. The fun part for me, I am a federal law enforcement officer and have 25 years experience. I usually try to keep them on the line as long as possible to prevent them getting a hold of other people.
I’ve done the same thing, I think I’ve talked to one for almost an hour.

The best for me is when he said he was going to arrest me. I gave him my work address in DC. He still claimed they were going to come get me. That was about an hour or pure fun. I kept telling him a bogus gift card number and cutting out a few numbers. He got so mad. I finally told him he had called DOJ and that we were going to trace his number. That needed the call pretty quick

I would’ve asked just “how big a boy are you?” Just come on down to the house and we can straighten up things.
I will be the first to Admit I get a little too much enjoyment out of messing with scam callers or telemarketers. I have a few go to keep The calls interesting. the plant engineer I share an office with gives me some funny looks sometimes

Very juvenile…but I usually tell them my name is Jackson Meoff. But I go by Jack to my friends. It always gets lost in translation until I demand that they say my full name before I give them the credit card number. They get very pissed off when they say it out loud. That’s when the arrest threat come. However, the most recent callers really do have a lot of info about me, my phone number and who they think I actually am. That is when my undercover ID really comes in handy. They are tenacious in demanding money from that fictions person.

I really wish there was a meaningful way to purse these guys. Almost all are based over sees and there really is no chance of a criminal prosecution. I wish the US would develop tech to fry their phone systems. Shutting down another country’s phone operations might illicit a legit response to these scum. I always really feel bad for the people who fall for this.

I went to Mexico with my wife a few years back. My grandparents got a call saying that I was in trouble in Mexico and needed $10,000 to help me out. My grandpa is like the ***hole king. He asked enough questions to know it was a scam then played with the guy for a few days.

Good thing it wasn’t real or I’d be dead. I guess it told me where I rank in the grandchild hierarchy. Not worth 10gs, but worth a laugh.

I try not to be mean to telemarketers anymore because they are just doing their jobs. I will string any scammers out for as long as possible though. You know when the guy with a thick Indian accent says “hello this is Derek from the IRS and you owe us $5000 in gift cards” it’s gonna be a good day.

A few years ago when telemarketers we're actually live people I got a call from a male that was trying to sell me something
I was in a particularly bad mood and really went off on the guy explaining to him about his family heritage, shis dog, choice of women etc. The guy didn't say a word for a few seconds and then says "you know I have your phone number". It struck me as funny and I started laughing, he started laughing and we actually had a nice chat. He was out of work from an injury and trying to make ends meet. I didn't buy anything but he said it was ok that he got paid by the calls and not by sales.

If there's no voicemail, it's a scam...if the voice mail is shady, it's a scam. If the area code is yours but the number is weird, scam. If your caller ID reads Scam Likely....Just about anything asking for your email or cell# while vowing they won't sell it is a lie.

Emails that begin with Thanks you, is a no open scam.

Bad English & cheap alpha optics is a naked Russian alert...

If there's no voicemail, it's a scam...if the voice mail is shady, it's a scam. If the area code is yours but the number is weird, scam. If your caller ID reads Scam Likely....Just about anything asking for your email or cell# while vowing they won't sell it is a lie.

Emails that begin with Thanks you, is a no open scam.

Bad English & cheap alpha optics is a naked Russian alert...
You had me at naked Russian

Back