Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Phelps Calls Acquired by Meateater

I see the strategy of integrating all aspects needed to hunt under one roof to become the one- stop- shop for everything from how-to instruction, to clothes and gear. I mean it's worked well for other industries.
It's an interesting combination of Horizontal and Vertical integration. Depends on what ME's goal/mission is.

I agree Schnee’s feels likely.
Schnee's (and Weatherby) would be in a whole other universe, though. Obviously there aren't detailed financial statements out there on these organizations, but the basic estimates appear to be that FL/FHF fall in the $1M-$2M range - versus Schnee's and Weatherby being 10X-20X that number. I haven't been involved in a lot of M&A but it's exponentially harder the larger an organization is.

I saw a post somewhere that said they had acquired/were acquiring Duck Commander, and while I know it's a joke, that seems to be the general business model they are marching towards. You could theoretically get a lot of economies of scale by 'co-locating' FL/FHF/Phelps production and fulfillment (plus consolidating all the backoffice functions and tech), but omnichannel retail and firearms manufacturing are challenging to see being integrated.

I see the strategy of integrating all aspects needed to hunt under one roof to become the one- stop- shop for everything from how-to instruction, to clothes and gear. I mean it's worked well for other industries.

I like this pickup more than the addiction of Newcomb. I can't stand him. Honestly, I'm getting there with Steve too. Jani, Cal, Spencer are all way more enjoyable personalities.
Definitley different strokes as the addition of Newcomb got me to paying attention to their company/content again. Definitely think he adds a geographic/demographic aspect.

funny the direct correlation you nearly always see with hate and success

meateater is hugely successful, seems like everybody is probably getting a decent pay check, and their value to the conservation world is something to contend with

that said i haven't listened to one of their podcasts in over a year now and i'm not hugely missing them

I used to follow a lot of hunters/groups that were great at first but sort of turned me away as they started pushing products or changing their style. I don't disagree with it, they have to pay the bills. I used to follow Jim Shockey a whole lot, I still really like the guy and think he's a great voice for hunters, he's great for conservation, a Canadian icon, Honorary Colonel to one of our Ranger groups, etc. But I can't stand the way they push BS products, again, I get it, I have to pay bills too...

meateater is hugely successful, seems like everybody is probably getting a decent pay check, and their value to the conservation world is something to contend with

that said i haven't listened to one of their podcasts in over a year now and i'm not hugely missing them
I’m in the same boat as you with the podcasts. Used to enjoy them. Not so much anymore. I don’t hate Rinella’s success. I think he’s a great guy I just feel like if they acquire that much control in the industry it would be annoying.

This does make me a little sad, I liked Phelps and I'm sure that he isn't going to change but I liked supporting a smaller PNW company.
I enjoy MeatEater - we don't agree on all points but I think that he is over all a good advocate for Hunters and represents us well in the public eye. Sad to see a small business get bought out but Congrats to Jason Phelps for making a product so well known and loved that the big guys are wanting you!

I support the free market and I like Steve. There could be much worse people representing hunters and buying up hunting companies.

I don't agree with everything the guy says, does and supports, and I am not going to start eating coyotes because he chows them down with a nod and a smile, but I am happy to see a guy with his passion and writing/communication skills accomplish what he has accomplished.

I have several friends who do not hunt but like his show and his ethos. That speaks volumes to me.

I like this pickup more than the addiction of Newcomb. I can't stand him. Honestly, I'm getting there with Steve too. Jani, Cal, Spencer are all way more enjoyable personalities.
I agree - Cal and Janis need more air/screen time!

This does make me a little sad, I liked Phelps and I'm sure that he isn't going to change but I liked supporting a smaller PNW company.
I enjoy MeatEater - we don't agree on all points but I think that he is over all a good advocate for Hunters and represents us well in the public eye. Sad to see a small business get bought out but Congrats to Jason Phelps for making a product so well known and loved that the big guys are wanting you!
Yeah I like supporting small companies to but now the employees might have better access to health care, 401k (possible match), paid time off or paternity leave... definitely a lot of potential positives that I'm sure that weighed into the decision.

Maybe Phelps saw the Born and Raised crew getting into the call game and wanted to get bought out before they took over hahaa.

Yeah I like supporting small companies to but now the employees might have better access to health care, 401k (possible match), paid time off or paternity leave... definitely a lot of potential positives that I'm sure that weighed into the decision.

Totally, just because you have ME as a owner doesn’t mean you lose the brand/company/employees.

Better benefits, increased access to capital and ability to weather a tough market.

I hope Steve let’s the talented folks at these companies do what they do best and uses his platform to support them.

IMHO ME is picking great companies.

I've thought for a long time Stone Glacier was next, surprised it hasn't happened, but maybe they're getting too big.

Congrats to Jason, the guy started a business out of his house and gets bought out in 12 years, talk about a modern American dream success story.

Also agree, I have met/known many people that did not hunt ect and are doing it now or much better informed because of Meateater.

*Cue the MeatEater theme song with gutural scream and charging bull moose scene*
I like that this scene has stayed in the opening credits. Many folks would have reacted to footage and audio of their imminent-death-by-moose-sodomy squeal, by making sure it never saw the light of day. He makes sure we hear it every time.

Totally, just because you have ME as a owner doesn’t mean you lose the brand/company/employees.

Better benefits, increased access to capital and ability to weather a tough market.

I hope Steve let’s the talented folks at these companies do what they do best and uses his platform to support them.

IMHO ME is picking great companies.
I have not thought of it from this perspective. Good point.

Definitley different strokes as the addition of Newcomb got me to paying attention to their company/content again. Definitely think he adds a geographic/demographic aspect.
Very true. It has taken me a while to warm up to Cal. But I appreciate what he has to say even though his personality rubs me the wrong way. I think you hit the nail on the head about there needing to be some regional and content diversity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back