Petition To Ban Import Of Game

Outdoor Life has now published on this topic...

Interesting the same organizations from the following... hmm. Go figure.

Thread 'Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/montana-1-upped-by-idaho-in-wolf-take-shenanigans.306597/

Outdoor Life has now published on this topic...

Interesting the same organizations from the following... hmm. Go figure.

Thread 'Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/montana-1-upped-by-idaho-in-wolf-take-shenanigans.306597/
Leftists doing leftist stuff.

I can't imagine DOI will entertain this... DOI of any political persuasion.

Seems like a waste of money on their part when the usual death by a thousand cuts approach is so much more effective... death by arterial gash is a hard sell for anyone in charge.

Here's the actual petition. I find no mention of interstate movement of legally harvested animals, and the focus of this seems to be squarely on the importation of live animals and parts into the United States.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/international/pdfs/FWS-ban-tracing-funding-petition.pdf

I think both sides in this equation might be stretching the facts to fit their preferred narratives. Happy to be proven wrong, however.
isn't the "parts" the issue? Before everything was called out as "Live" that is now proposed to be scratched so that you can't import parts, ie. the meat part.

isn't the "parts" the issue? Before everything was called out as "Live" that is now proposed to be scratched so that you can't import parts, ie. the meat part.

Possibly? I don't know the legal definition, but there's nothing that I saw (not saying it isn't in there, just that I didn't see it) that talks about legally hunted game from inside the US or other countries, and still allows the importation if properly licensed and permitted. I think this is geared towards improving CITES more than anything, and controlling wet markets in the US.

Again, I could be wrong.

Possibly? I don't know the legal definition, but there's nothing that I saw (not saying it isn't in there, just that I didn't see it) that talks about legally hunted game from inside the US or other countries, and still allows the importation if properly licensed and permitted. I think this is geared towards improving CITES more than anything, and controlling wet markets in the US.

Again, I could be wrong.
I think your impression is definitely what they were hoping everyone would think, though that may not be their underlying motive. I too am no expert and am more likely wrong than right on this one.

My understanding. Unfortunately lawsuits like this has become a cottage industry by itself. C F B D makes money on these lawsuits win or loose. They're lawyers get paid even when they loose because they are representing the people . Free right to challenge government.

My understanding. Unfortunately lawsuits like this has become a cottage industry by itself. C F B D makes money on these lawsuits win or loose. They're lawyers get paid even when they loose because they are representing the people . Free right to challenge government.

Not entirely correct. In order to receive payment from the Gov't, you have to win your case (if you are referring to the Equal Access to Justice Act.) Even then the rate of reimbursement isn't necessarily huge compared to private firms who litigate. EAJA is used widely from everything from industry suing the gov't over actions to citizens who are impacted by gov't actions. NGO's use it excessively in some instances, but a cursory review of the 2019 database shows just how widely that program is used: https://eaja.acus.gov/?action=list&entity=CaseRecord

These groups make bank by suing, but it's the appeals and donations calls that make their real money. EAJA reimbursement isn't the big money maker folks think it is, but it's a fantastic boogerman to get people to give up their rights to sue their gov't by those who wish for no accountability.

Thanks for the correction. I also suspect that law cases like this are created to set up an entirely different issue by making other findings.

Thanks for the correction. I also suspect that law cases like this are created to set up an entirely different issue by making other findings.

Politics 101: The issue in front of you is generally not the issue of greatest desire.

I'm sure there is somewhat of a legitimate desire by groups to end the wildlife trafficking, and there are some very real issues associated with the importation of live animals outside of their native habitats, especially on animals that are threatened or endangered, add on top of those issues the wet markets and disease transfer, and there is a significant issue that needs to be dealt with.

Given the players here, I'm sure they would be fine with the banning of trophy hunt hides, heads, etc from other nations and so their ability to be an impartial and thoughtful leader on this is suspect.

I mean, I'm all for banning the import of non-native flora and fauna (live) to the United States. Inter-state transport, meat, capes, etc. they can bugger off. Proposing it under the benevolent guise of stopping the spread of zoonotic diseases just reeks of seizing upon the current pandemic to further their agenda, especially when the majority of diseases they list were spread by the travel of human carriers. Maybe we should start there.

Here's the actual petition. I find no mention of interstate movement of legally harvested animals, and the focus of this seems to be squarely on the importation of live animals and parts into the United States.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/international/pdfs/FWS-ban-tracing-funding-petition.pdf

I think both sides in this equation might be stretching the facts to fit their preferred narratives. Happy to be proven wrong, however.
The word "interstate" appears once in the petition, in a footnote describing the Lacey Act. In fact, the Service is bound by a 2017 DC Circuit decision saying they CAN'T ban the interstate transport of injurious species, thanks to the same folks that brought you the Everglades python explosion.

I'm not here to speculate on anybody's motivations. But if someone is telling you that this petition calls for banning the interstate transport of legally harvested wild game, you'd be smart to ask em if they've actually read it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back