Caribou Gear Tarp

pet hunting setup

archer

setting up my pet hunting rig right now for next year been out of the rifle hunting ring for 8yrs there is so much new crap out there :eek: this should be fun and expensive thought i would see what pet rig you all have old new its fun to talk about our favs my old rig was a rem 788 30-06 leu 2-7 shooting 165 rem core loc im looking at setting up a 7mag 165 gr or 300 180 with good 4-12 scope syn stock and some other nifts hope to have pics up when done this rig will be used in eastern wa and out of state a couple times any who lets hear what your favs are and pics if your proud :D hump

The rifle I am using now is a 26" Ruger 77 action with a Shilen barrel, B&C glass stock with Leopold 4-12. Chambered in 6.5-284. Been using it for several years as my all around huntingf rifle. 140 Gr. partitions or 130 Gr. x bullets at 3,000 FPS. Has worked very well on all game taken with it from coyotes to elk. No complaints and I will be using it again this year.

my favorite is a stainless 7mm that i put in a classic wood stock. it wears a 3-9 leupold and i think it might be the best set up for deer. probobly use it for bear this spring and maybe elk if i get drawn.

andrea.jpg

Nice rifle! I do like SS with a good piece of walnut. My wife does too, in fact she says any gun that is 'for her' has to be that combo! :D

Well, mine has been an OLD Rem M721 30-06 with a Burris 3-9. Nothing fancy, but the thing drives tacks and I can shoot it.....

This last fall my dad gave me my Grandpas 06 Browning A Bolt. I am going to work a load up for it, transfer the Burris scope to it and call it good. Yesterday I bought a box of Barnes Triple Shock 168's BT's. THe things should zip and tear a good hole.

I'm going to iron sight the Remington up and load some 200 or 220's and use it for rainy, snowy days in the timber. Cant wait till fall! (even though I hope I kill everything with my Bow!) ((Which is VERY unlikely)

Mine is a Kifaru Rambling rifle with 7-08 and .358 barrels. Both calibers have taken elk, but the .358 did it with one shot so it will be my elk gun from now on. The gun cost way too much but would not sell it at any price now that I have it. Both barrels are 20". The 7-08 shoots 140 Barnes XLC's and the .358 shoots 225 gr XLC's. Bullet recovered from last falls elk was found in opposite shoulder, and after breaking a lot of bone still weighed 209 gr. Slower speed of .358 resulted in virtually no blood shot meat. My gun is topped of with a 1.75 to 6 X Leupold scope.

Mine is a stainless steel laminate stocked Ruger #1 in 7mm rem. mag w/ a Burris 3x10x40 Signature Select scope. Am currently using 160 grain Barnes TSX loaded by Conley Precision Cartridge but truthfully, this single shot likes any ammo I use.
The stock and steel finish is multi-climate proof. I've always heard that some #1's shoot well and others don't...this one does...also, follow up shots have not been a problem. No matter what grain I use, the only zero that ever changes is the elevation. I've always admired the classic retro lines of the #1. Use it mainly for deer but take it as backup to Mk V Fibermark Stainless 300 wby during elk season.

Have a 270 wsm Wby Vanguard stainless/synthetic coming any day...am anxious to set it up. One can never have enough hunting gear.

Ditto on the stainless & wood...nothing better looking.

Iv got a Remington Mountain rifle in 270 cal with a Leopold on top. shoot remington 140 grain ultra core lokts for deer.

Elk i have a rem 300 win mag topped with a burris and shoot 180 core lokts but im going to buy some 180 triple shocks and see how they shoot.

Kirkl, think you'll like the triple shocks. Took a hog behind the shoulder thru and thru this year with a 160 grain TSX. Went down fast & never budged. Accurate on the range but not cheap... will help a lot if you reload.

I've got 2 Winchester 88s that are my "go to" guns--both .308. One wears a Leupold 4x and the other a Leupold 6x-- Leupold quick detach mounts. I've got a lot of different guns but these are great for traveling--ammo available at any gun store--damage a scope--go to the iron. Learned a hard lesson when I took a wildcat on a hunting trip--gun got there but no ammo.

my pets (the under 300.00 pets)

i have several pets...here are a few... i have this synthetic in .223 and 7.62x39 for coyotes and i have this wood in .308 .... all 3 guns are fun to shoot...my baby though is a mark 5 weatherby in 300 wby mag. both of these rifles in these pics are made with RUSSIAN ak-47 receivers..

Attachments

• saigasynthetic.jpg
    saigasynthetic.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 131
  • saigawood.jpg
    saigawood.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 131
The rifle I reach for 1st is the Ruger 77 Special Edition. 7mm/08, 22" blued brl, synthetic stock, topped with a 3.5X10X45 scope. Still working on loads, but the 150 Nosler BT, with some RL 15 is doing a great job, so far. I'll hunt A LOT of game with that rig. so far, just deer and pigs, inside 100yds, but all 1 shot, and good preformance.

For range, when needed, I'll tote the Weatherby 7mmMag. 160 Noslers and a heavy dose of H-4831 pushes 'em out just fine. Sub 1 MOA. It's carrying a 3X9X40. Even at 250yds+, too much for deer class game. Lots of blood shot meat.

But, my "pet" is my Rem 600, 308 !! 4X Redfield. This one really likes Win Factory 180's. Close to 2550 fps (from an 18 1/2" brl), and 3/4" groups are ho-hum. Too much loft for anything past 200yds, but will d&*n nail flat 'em inside that! ;) . Penetrates all day long. Only recovered one. That was at 175yd, or so, on a 9 pt whitetail that took it in the front left shoulder and made it's way to the right rear haunch. Found it up against the hide.

For long range, I use a custom Rem 700 BDL in an HS Precision stock in .300 Wthby. I like the range-compensating Ballistic Plex reticle in the Burris 3-9 scope. With 180 partitions, it works like the hammer or Thor.

Then again, my Tikka .338 Win mag is nice, too. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back