Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Personal Locator

warmer

I am headed out in two weeks for a cow elk hunt in the Black Hills. Want to go solo, but my wife is adamantly opposed to the idea. Now an unfortunate hunter has gone missing in the Hills and she is terrified it may happen to me. I assured her everything would be fine, but she's not falling for that. She knows the risks of hunting alone. She agreed to my solo hunt on one condition: she wants to track me if she needs/wants to know where I'm at. So here's my deal:
#1-this is a once every 10-12 year trip
#2-I'm very familiar with my hunting unit
#3-If you've ever hunted in the Hills, you know there are roads everywhere.

What's my best/least expensive option?

Probably a spot for one way just to give an ok. Anywhere you go in the hills you can get to cell service so you could make a call. Having said that I have an inReach, the messages I send go out fine. But it takes awhile for me to receive them. I think I asked you on a different thread but I could be wrong, you have a h1 tag right?

Best would be a Garmin InReach. It allows two-way satellite texting, so in my opinion better than the simple Spot “I’m ok” message. If your wife really needed to get in touch with you she could. They cost $400-$450, so maybe you could borrow one from someone if this is an infrequent type of hunt for you?

I don't think there is a cheap option if she wants to be able to pull up your location anywhere, anytime. You're looking at a Garmin InReach or something like that. You may be able to convince her with just a panic button style SOS device though. They are considerably cheaper and cover the worst case scenario.

What if you fall in a hole, break your leg, and have no ability to move? Knowing an area or only vistig once a decade won't matter.

When I teach Hunter Safety, I will preach on getting a PLB ad nauseum.

Get an Inreach of some type. It is the cheapest insurance to know you can get help when needed.

I do believe there are places where you can rent an inreach. That may be the cheapest option. Worth a try.

I got a spot gen 3 this year and have gone on some pretty backcountry trips both solo and with friends. It’s nice to be able to let people know your ok and if you got something.

Probably a spot for one way just to give an ok. Anywhere you go in the hills you can get to cell service so you could make a call. Having said that I have an inReach, the messages I send go out fine. But it takes awhile for me to receive them. I think I asked you on a different thread but I could be wrong, you have a h1 tag right?
H2E

What if you fall in a hole, break your leg, and have no ability to move? Knowing an area or only vistig once a decade won't matter.

When I teach Hunter Safety, I will preach on getting a PLB ad nauseum.

Get an Inreach of some type. It is the cheapest insurance to know you can get help when needed.
I visit the unit every year. Sometimes multiple times. Does PLB allow tracking?

Have you tried logic? Something like, "I have a much higher chance of dying in a car accident on the way there/back than getting lost, struck by lightning, or breaking a leg."

Oh wait, you're talking to a woman...nevermind :p
Tried. Didn’t work.

Oh yeah cell reception does suck out there. I asked someone on here that drew a H1 tag on a different thread but it wasn’t you, obviously. Like I said my inReach takes forever to receive a message, but I’m sure that’s because of something I’m doing. I do like the gps side of it though and I use it more than the messaging. As others have said maybe renting one may be the way to go? Either way good luck.

How in the hell did all of us who hunted many years before all the "recent" personal safety technology survive that?
How the hell can those of us without smart phones:oops: survive now? Full disclosure, I did pick up an InReach at the request of others, should actually maybe learn to use it correctly.
And the upside for those with smartphones, even if there's no reception, one can take a death selfie . Leave a little somethin' should your carcass be found.............

I actually carried an ACR ResQLink 400 PLB many years working in the backcountry. No comms, but if I had to hit the button, help was on the way. Utility, period. I still see no reason for the communication thing, but that's just me.......

Last edited:
If your wife says go or no go, do what she says. That being said, I was curious about some stats.

Black Hills NF is 1.2 million acres and has over 3,600 miles of motorized trails.

Since I am close to CMR, I thought I would compare, especially since it is of similar size; 1.1 millions acres. 120 miles of motorized trails and pretty remote as well.

Hopefully they find the missing hunter in the Hills. I had to check for updates.
[Missing hunter] is described as a Caucasian male, 5 foot 9 inches, 250 pounds, brown eyes with gray hair and gray beard. He was wearing a camouflage jacket and pants and a black Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation baseball cap. [Missing hunter] has congestive heart failure as well as diabetes. He has been without food or insulin for more than 24 hours.

Growing up in the BH and running around with a pellet gun in my youth everywhere I could, I tend to think this is very low risk. Your mileage may differ.

However it ends up, enjoy your elk hunt and keep the wife at ease.

How in the hell did all of us who hunted many years before all the "recent" personal safety technology survive that?

Some didn't. Every year there is always someone who didn't come home and they find his truck at the trailhead. Sometimes their body is found, sometimes they are never found.
Remember this goat hunter in CO who died after laying in pain for who knows how long before his groans were heard. Perhaps if he had a PLB he could have got medical attention in time and survived his wounds.

Back