Penalty for not doing harvest survey

beginnerhunter

So I'm not planning on applying in NM this year. I forgot to fill out the harvest report for 2020 and now it wants to charge me $8 to do it. If I dont fill it out, may I still apply in 2022?? Thanks!

I'm not sure iirc if you dont fill it out you loose your privileges in the draw the following year, that may have changed.

Yeah I like that they make then mandatory, good for management. But why set up an obstacle to obtaining information? Why not just take the survey info then charge me $8 extra if I go to apply for the draw?

After the fun I've had hunting New Mexico, that phone call for registering was more important than calling the wife, good god the chance not to go back in the draw the next yr was unthinkable. If its that bad set up a go fund me page lol.

I can’t believe you’re on a forum complaining about 8 bucks. Geese If I only had your problems.
Initially I asked how long the apply ban would last. Then suggested NM charge people for the late fee when they apply so there isn't an obstacle to getting the survey info. I've never heard of a game and fish agency charging people to give them harvest info. I can't be the only schmuck who thought twice about whipping out the credit card for that. You catch more flies with honey.

My state makes us check all big game so they know the harvest down to the time it was harvested. Looks like NM is moving that direction with e-tag so good for them.

I mean, I paid the $8.🤷‍♂️
Speaking for myself, as a resident of Montana, I WISH we had mandatory reporting on hunting results by all persons that hunt our state.
But no, instead we get a random call to answer a "few" questions. Who answers random calls? I don't fault the volunteers who make the calls, they are clearly caring people, but the process stinks and is hardly accurate. Maybe if Montana Fish and Game was serious about managing data they would adapt something like New Mexico...but we all know that answer.
So to the OP, your input has value. Its a pittance of a cost/donation to aid in future quality hunts.

Back