Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pellet Grill Cleaning Question

Losing_Sanity

Anyone ever clean the smoke pipe on their pellet grill? I have been getting a lot of soot and an article on the web recommended cleaning the smoke pipe. What a mess! It was pretty gunked up and had a lot of creosote build up. That stuff got everywhere. Anyone know how to easily clean it? Any chemist know of a chemical or cleaning solvent to break that stuff down and make it an easier job? I tried soaking it in soapy water. That did nothing except get me into trouble for the mess in the sink. I tried ammonia, degreasers, and other kitchen cleaners but nothing helped. I wiped it out with rags as best I could but what a mess. I think next time I'll just buy a new one and avoid the hassle.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I’ve never cleaned the chimney on mine but after reading this I just might give it a go

I’ve never cleaned the chimney on mine but after reading this I just might give it a go
I've never cleaned mine either, and depending on how much stuff you break in the process I probably won't. :LOL:

I wish my Traeger got a little hotter to burn the crud out.

I never thought of it, but it was one of the things recommended if you get a lot of smoke and soot. But it was a mess! It needed it. I figure I was losing about 30% or more in air flow restriction. There has to be a better, easier way to clean it. I'm hoping someone can come up with, or suggest a chemical way to break that stuff up.

Okay just checked mine. Tons of build up in the pipe and under the “cap”. I’d guess 30% or more plugged. I might save cleaning mine until next spring and use the greasy soot for bear bait

So, I been using the pellet grill after the cleaning the pipe out. Working much better! The reduced air flow was defiantly an issue. If you are getting some excessive smoke and soot on your food, try cleaning the smoke pipe. It helped in my situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back