Pedestal

singleshot1

To combat some of the cabin fever between hunting seasons i decided to try and build a pedestal for a strutting turkey i have since i felt the cheap piece of foam he was mounted to wasn't doing him any justice.

I decided since i had a pile of barn boards laying around from the barn i removed from my property that i would try using them. The toughest part was finding usable lengths of wood to work with and removing all the nails.

Step 1.jpg

I picked an octagon shape which i cut two shapes out of plywood for a template to nail to. Then cut the pieces to length (i decided 27" was a nice height) and assembled it.

Step 2.jpg

Had to add a little spacer between the base and turkey otherwise his wings hit the outer trim.

Step 3.jpg

I had ordered some material online to create a base that somewhat resembled the ground where i had shot him.

Step 4.jpg

I picked up some rubber wheels for the bottom so that it could be easily moved around if needed and installed them. Then i finally attached the turkey and put the finishing touches on it.

Step 5.jpg

I think it turned out ok for my first attempt. I think i might make a couple more for the day when i complete the Grand Slam and have them all together :)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Very awesome! I'm looking for one almost identical to that for my 2012 antelope!

I did make one with about a 12" foot print (compared to the 20" footprint the turkey is on) just messing around figuring out angles and how things would line up. I only put the trim around the top and bottom like the turkey one but no trim going up and down. I thought it might make a nice pedestal for a deer or antelope someday.

SS way cool.
If it were myself I would invest in a metal finder for those old boards. I have saved many a $60+ blade and sets of planer knives by investing in one. I like the idea of the plywood base to nail to.

Back