PEAX Equipment

Passing Them Up Is Almost as Much Fun as Shooting Them

Steiny77

Had a fun encounter last evening bow hunting whiteys. Set up a stand on downwind side of a small one acre brushy meadow surrounded by woodlot. About twenty minutes of shooting light left and a nice buck pops out of the edge across meadow and starts making scrapes, working overhead limbs, etc. He then starts heading across meadow right towards me with antlers full of brush so I grab bow to get ready. Pretty quickly realized he was about a 125" ten point I wasn't going to shoot but he proceeded right up to me withing fifteen yards, then locked up. Was calm enough he must have been getting a little whiff of me. Dude stands nearly stone still for probably ten minutes while I'm doing the same, cramping up and wishing he'd walk away. Finally decides he better move on and slowly walks away to the far side again, but hung around there suspiciously for a while past legal light. Had me pinned in the stand past dark for a while.

Had a couple opportunities at what would have been chip shots, but we've got a one buck limit and there are some much better ones around. Those close encounters are what makes bow hunting fun regardless if you punch a tag or not.

I pass up a ton of deer every year. Almost all of them get killed by other members of our club.

I get the whole "You shouldn't pass up a deer like that" crap from them all season.

I wish we had a 1 buck limit.

One of many reasons I love archery hunting so much! Nothing beats being in close on animals. Whether an arrow is released or not.

I spend a lot of time in the tree every year. Just looking for a big buck. I'll shoot a doe if I want some meat, but I just enjoy being out there.

I pass up a ton of deer every year. Almost all of them get killed by other members of our club.

I get the whole "You shouldn't pass up a deer like that" crap from them all season.

I wish we had a 1 buck limit.
I wish we had an option to get a cull tag here in MN. We have a bunch of property, but I don't want to waste my buck tag on a goofy bastard... But the goofy racks have to go!

Observing deer up close is a constant learning of their natural living and reactions to sounds, sightings whatever.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back