Panama City Beach Fishing

krshntr81

I am headed down for a family vacation to Panama City Beach, Florida next week and wanted to know if anybody had any fishing insight for the area that they wouldn't mind sharing. I am planning on going on an offshore fishing trip while down their, but would love some info on surf fishing our pier fishing. Thanks for any info!

Never been to Panama City, but we used to go to nearby Destin every year. We went with several different charter companies. I tried the pier fishing and after some experimenting I would recommend fishing in the pass areas where the gulf goes under the bridges and to backwater areas. They call them bays, but they are HUGE. The current rips through there at times, but some good fishing can be had for reds, trout, and sheepshead near the bridge pilings and nearby flats. We did the offshore thing and caught amberjack, snapper, and grouper and stayed inshore and caught redfish and sheepshead. Inshore trips = more fishing time and much less drive time, and no sea sickness. But a 40-50" amberjack was worth puking for in my opinion, but wasn't for my wife back then. If you have never been on the huge boats with 20-40 people around the whole boat fishing for triggerfish its OK, but once was enough for me. Good luck, and post some pics when you get back, it's a beautiful area!

Like Muskeez advises, the red drum and sheepshead fishing in the passes and bays can net some great eating. If you go out into the gulf the amberjack can get the old ticker going but aren't the best eating. Grouper, wahoo, dolphin (mahi-mahi), red and silver snapper can fill the coolers with some fine fish if that's what you are looking for. The head boats (large groups) sometimes can be a hit or miss proposition but cost less per person, where the smaller boats with 4-6 clients and a 2-3 man crew will be more likely to put you on fish but are more costly. Good luck and wet a hook!

Never surf or pier fished the gulf, only on the two Carolina coasts so can't advise there. Most of the fishing piers have webcam sites which run 24-7 if you can find them on Google.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for the responses and advice! We are taking one of the head boats out with the kids, and I plan on just fishing in the morning before the family wakes up! I will upload pictures when I get back! Thanks again.

Just so you know red snapper season is closed in federal waters. Some of the gulf states have tried to extend state waters but Feds do not recognize. I don't know what Florida claims but most red snapper are found further out than the state boundary. Check and make sure you know what fish are in season. I am really not sure about AJs they may be in I'm not sure. Just know what you have a good chance of catching before you spend a lot on a charter. There are several fishing forums for the gulf that would have better info than I can give and more trust worthy than the charter service. It's just that many limits have become quite restrictive and one needs to know what is available. More and bigger snapper than ever where I fish in AL but can't tell the Feds that. What do I know, I'm just a fisherman.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back