Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Painting backpacks

jnd1959

I have several osprey backpacks that I'd like to repurpose for hunting, at least this coming year. They all have a lot of miles on them but are still in good shape. Trouble is they are all blue. Has anyone tried to use cloth paint on a backpack? Suggestions appreciated.

I doubt paint will hold up to the sweat, rain, sun, and abrasion by brush. I used a black Dana Design for a number of years.

As stated, the color doesn’t matter except to you. But if you want to try something, a synthetic fabric dye would be a better option. Plenty of information on Google.

A fleece cover, similar to a rain cover, might be easier to get the color you want. That said, I'd not be worried the in the least on the color.

You don't need a camo backpack. Won't make a difference.
Fully agree with that. I would just use them as they are. The whole camo thing is really just for people and I really believe that it doesn't make a difference in terms of hunting success.

But to answer your question, use fabric paint. I used this to paint my inflatable kayak for duck hunting. Other paints will flake off but not this stuff. It comes as a spray can but it's horrible to work with it. It doesn't spray good and dribbles all over the place. Best to spray into a container and brush on if you want it to look pretty. https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Spray...t=&hvlocphy=1014297&hvtargid=pla-568712819926

20190212_110107.jpg20190216_083541.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I agree it is mostly for me and doesn't really make a difference in the long run. I figured if it was easy to do then why not change the color to something less conspicuous. I plan to use covers as a fallback but was thinking there may be a way to tone down the original color. I may try that fabric paint on one of them and see how it goes.

I know what you mean about trying to change the color of your inflatable for duck hunting. My kayak is bright orange. I ended up building a cover for it when duck hunting.

Just random thoughts when you run out of things to plan at the moment. I come up with a lot of goofy thoughts and plans. Some of them actually, partially, work. But that's a big part of the fun of this exercise for me.

Deer and elk rely on seeing movement. So being still is the biggest priority obviously. That being said tho, there is one color I would never wear into the deer and elk woods and that's blue. They see blue colors like we do. So a big blue pack hanging from a treestand or wherever will stick out like a sore thumb. Is this gonna bust you...who knows but why take that risk. The animals live there and know the surroundings and a blue blob is gonna look weird to them.

Glasseye nice work on the kayak!

For what it's worth, I just took my osprey and added some camo-y colored spray paint, I looked decent when done. By the end of year 2 most of it has worn off, but the faded version actually blends in pretty good.

I've gotta say I think I'd welcome the blue backpack. I can't count the amount of times that I put my bag down to start a stalk and then have trouble finding it because of the color. The blue is like a beacon
Been there done that! Lol

Soo many times, now all my stuff is blaze... head lamps, knives, gps, phone case... etc
Yeah camo gear is great until you set it down, or it drops out of your pocket/pack, or you set it aside to stalk in close, or whatever else. I find about as much of other people's camo gear afield as I have lost myself...I think it about evens out in the end.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back