PEAX Equipment

painting a rifle stock

Rooster52

you that have painted a synthetic rifle stock,did you use a smooth finish or textured ? How did you like it.? I have never done textured finish paint job. My new Ruger American is calling to be painted.

Here is a similar method to what I did on my American. I did remove the stock for the application. You can also mix the colors of paint by spraying two colors into a puddle then mixing with the sponge prior to dabbing on to the gun stalk. It results into a more gradual blend and shading. I also applied a very light coat of flat clear coat for extra durability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmmXZxf668

Done it a bunch may be able to add pics later but I usually base coat in color I want then hit with black or silver spray webbing then finish with brownells alumahyde? I just use it in matte clear, takes a while to dry but it is solvent proof and very durable. Looks like a b&c but in custom colors and with a stronger finish. If I get bored or don't like it I sand and do it again a different color. I like Dr's truck bed line idea might have to try that. It's fun and makes you a little prouder of that rifle your carrying...good luck

C

im about to do my tikka...you may want to sand the stock a bit to rough it up and the paint will hold better. im going to primer it, then do krylon textured, and finish with a matte clear coat. it won't be the most durable finish but it's cheap and easy to touch up.

I bought a stock off of ebay many years back for a Remington model 7 in 7mm SAUM. It was a fiberglass stock with glass bedding in it. It shot 1/2" groups once I sighted it in. But, the paint was trash. I removed the stock, used alcohol to degrease it, then sanded it with fine sandpaper. Then I taped all the areas I did NOT want paint to go. I hung it from a sling swivel and sprayed it with "stone paint" I bought at Lowes. Its a rough textured finish thats a gray base with some white & black in it. From use, it has worn down a bit and I admit that I needed to practice spraying it before I did the stock, but it has been very useful and good looking.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo handy. I'm trying to get a couple from my phone to my work computer. Really poor cell coverage here, so it might take a while....

If you want really good adhesion, wipe the stock down with Dupont #2319S Plastic-prep followed by a coat of Bully Dog adhesion promoter (in a spray can) follow that with the flat epoxy color or colors of your choice...it ain't coming off.

Thanks! :) It is topped with a 3.5-10 VX-3i with CDS now. Haven't had much time to play with the CDS, plus getting a place to shoot to 300 or more is tough in NYS!

I used it on a moose hunt in Newfoundland last year. In preparation, it liked Federal Premiums with a 160 grain Nosler Partition, and finding factory ammo for the 7mm SAUM caliber is getting tough. In the future it will be a reloading only caliber, I'm sure. On the moose hunt, it worked!

I love the model 7's. I keep my eye open for used ones whenever I am in the market for something. Cant argue with the choice in scope or bullet either.

Mine below, Krylon Fusion sprayed into little tubs and then my wife and kids (young at time) painted it for me. This one I will always treasure for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_0873 (2).jpg
    IMG_0873 (2).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 5,105
  • IMG_0880 (2).jpg
    IMG_0880 (2).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 5,035
  • IMG_0875 (2).jpg
    IMG_0875 (2).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 4,980
  • IMG_0874 (2).jpg
    IMG_0874 (2).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5,294
  • IMG_0873 (2).jpg
    IMG_0873 (2).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 4,961
  • IMG_0876 (2).jpg
    IMG_0876 (2).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4,992
I’ve never used the textured paint but in my mind I think it would eventually wear down in high use areas. It all wears down over time, but can always be touched up.
IMG_4354.jpegIMG_4355.jpeg

So easy a kid can do it. My nephew with the AR I gave him.
IMG_4356.jpegIMG_4357.jpeg

Finally took the time to get mine done.
Thank you for the reply and great to see a nice deer down with the kids.
I was looking at your brown paint job. Mostly wondering the colour?

Attachments

• IMG_9982.jpeg
    IMG_9982.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 12
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back