Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Packraft Hunting - Have Questions?

AlpackaRaft

Hi there. As a new member of the forum, we’d like to make a quick introduction and let you know we’re here to answer any questions you may have about Alpacka Raft packrafts.

We’ve been following for years, but are no longer sitting on the sidelines and recently partnered with Randy to provide a solution for redefining public lands access via water.

Whether it's a backpack hunt with an elk, bear, moose or caribou float-out, whitetail hunting along major rivers, high country lake fishing, duck hunting, cast and blast, or just using packrafts to access new country, packrafts are a great tool for your hunting trips. A portion of sales from each of our hunting and fishing specific packrafts, the Mule, Forager and Oryx, are donated to Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

Alpacka Raft has been making packrafts for 20 years, and all of our packrafts are made to order in Mancos, CO. During this time, we’re doing our best to keep our doors open and our staff employed. And, we’re making plans for upcoming hunting seasons with you—the Hunt Talk community.

If you’re interested in adding an Alpacka Raft to your hunting quiver, feel free to reach out with questions. And, use promo code Randy2020 for a 10% discount on your order. Thank you!

Attachments

• Maven_Alpacka_2019_277.jpg
    Maven_Alpacka_2019_277.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • _JWP0296.jpg
    _JWP0296.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Maven_Alpacka_2019_280.jpg
    Maven_Alpacka_2019_280.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I’ve followed Mike C’s bikepackrafting trips, it seems like an awesome addition to my outdoor gear addiction.

Last edited:
I just drove back from Colorado today and listened to Hunttalk's "Episode 132. Float Hunting Adventure with Alpacka Raft". This was a fun listen between Thor and Randy. My boys are sold on the idea of hiking up/in and floating out.

Do you guys at Alpacka have a raft that doubles into a tent/bivy sack and sleeping pad? It seems that a few subtle modifications would enable a hunter to attach a waterproof cover around the perimeter of the raft's bottom and convert it into a tent with a built-in sleeping pad. The dimensions on the three (3) rafts in the BHA series seem too small to sleep in comfortably.

The net result of this concept would be a heavier raft but a lighter pack. If this idea works, you can send me the result. PM me for my address and your welcome 😎😂

I just drove back from Colorado today and listened to Hunttalk's "Episode 132. Float Hunting Adventure with Alpacka Raft". This was a fun listen between Thor and Randy. My boys are sold on the idea of hiking up/in and floating out.

Do you guys at Alpacka have a raft that doubles into a tent/bivy sack and sleeping pad? It seems that a few subtle modifications would enable a hunter to attach a waterproof cover around the perimeter of the raft's bottom and convert it into a tent with a built-in sleeping pad. The dimensions on the three (3) rafts in the BHA series seem too small to sleep in comfortably.

The net result of this concept would be a heavier raft but a lighter pack. If this idea works, you can send me the result. PM me for my address and your welcome 😎😂
My buddy used the floor of the forager as a pad, worked great although not insulated so it doesn’t have a great R value. I’m sure you could flip a mule, or caribou which are self bailing upside down and make a tarp tent with trekking poles.

wllm1313: Thanks for mentioning the American Whitewater website in another thread. As you cautioned, it is a start. In reading your post about your AK trip, I can tell you spent a lot of time on it and chose a decent river. I thoroughly enjoyed the read as it was a treat.

So far, it appears the American Whitewater just displays river headwaters accessible by vehicle so you can avoid the hike in. A reasonable premise but I believe the opposite aim of most Western Hunters wanting to hike in/paddle out.

For example, the Green River, WY is listed as a II-III river on American Whitewater. However, the intel does not extend beyond Onx's roadless access point of my map layer (second image):
Am White.JPGgreen river roadless.JPG

Questions:
-Do you just scan the satellite images for rapids in the rivers of the roadless areas and just hope for the best?
-What are some other ways you develop your intel once you locate a possible unit/river candidate?

Keep in mind, I plan to hunt during rifle season in chilly/snowy weather and would like to limit the waters to a max Category II-III thrill, yet still prepare for wet conditions.

Last edited:
Questions:
-Do you just scan the satellite images for rapids in the rivers of the roadless areas and just hope for the best?
From my experience you can do this but recognize they will look different (always bigger) in real life. I've completed two hairy trips blind except for sat images, both in drift boats, both we ended up having to unload and hand line the boat down over falls that weren't recognized in the sat imagery.

wllm1313: Thanks for mentioning the American Whitewater website in another thread. As you cautioned, it is a start. In reading your post about your AK trip, I can tell you spent a lot of time on it and chose a decent river. I thoroughly enjoyed the read as it was a treat.

So far, it appears the American Whitewater just displays river headwaters accessible by vehicle so you can avoid the hike in. A reasonable premise but I believe the opposite aim of most Western Hunters wanting to hike in/paddle out.

For example, the Green River, WY is listed as a II-III river on American Whitewater. However, the intel does not extend beyond Onx's roadless access point of my map layer (second image):
View attachment 157927View attachment 157928

Questions:
-What are some other ways you develop your intel once you locate a possible unit/river candidate?

Keep in mind, I plan to hunt during rifle season in chilly/snowy weather and would like to limit the waters to a max Category II-III thrill, yet still prepare for wet conditions.

Most of AK has pretty sketchy aerial imagery, so it's pretty hit or miss, it's a lot of googling, Alaska outdoor forum, pack rafting forums, and word of mouth. My buddy scouted part of the river we ran, and then we just took a chance on part of the river and hoped for the best.

If your hunting AK in a packraft you need a dry suit, if your hunting the lower 48 in Oct-Nov you need a dry suit. Fishing waders are ok if it's a very flat river, and you really know what your doing. If the river is ridiculously shallow you can get away with just rain gear but it's dicey.

From my experience you can do this but recognize they will look different (always bigger) in real life. I've completed two hairy trips blind except for sat images, both in drift boats, both we ended up having to unload and hand line the boat down over falls that weren't recognized in the sat imagery.
Damn that’s metal!

@JAG Awesome idea on the bivy! Passed that along to the design team.

Lightweight fishing waders are usually a good go-to for hunting up to class III but recognize that a storm or snowfall can change a trip significantly- a full dry suit shouldn't be out of the question especially one that is packable.

Our go-to option is Patagonia's Middle Fork waders combined with a light trail running shoe that drains quickly - https://www.patagonia.com/product/middle-fork-packable-waders-regular/82330.html

Bumping this threat for anyone that might have an answer. I dont know if Alpacka is still active on the forum.

My wife and I are hunting a FS cabin in Prince William Sound this coming May. Looking to get a packraft and I am torn between getting a forager for both of us, or getting two smaller packrafts like the Mule or Caribou for us to run individually. Anyone have an experience that they would be willing to share? Thanks!

No real personal experience but from my research if you're going to be in very remote areas where hiking out is not a good option, having two rafts is a good backup plan in case your primary becomes unusable.

Thanks for bumping this, hadn't seen it.

Bumping this threat for anyone that might have an answer. I dont know if Alpacka is still active on the forum.

My wife and I are hunting a FS cabin in Prince William Sound this coming May. Looking to get a packraft and I am torn between getting a forager for both of us, or getting two smaller packrafts like the Mule or Caribou for us to run individually. Anyone have an experience that they would be willing to share? Thanks!
I would probably go with a forager and two kayak paddles.

Those interested in the subjects addressed on this thread should watch this:

Back