Packable Raingear Opinions

Dana

I'm needing to replace my raingear. I am debating between the Cabela's MT050 and the Sitka Downpour. I need to replace both jacket and pants. Given that both are Gore-Tex, I assume they are both as good as it gets for waterproofness, while being as quiet as possible. Given that price is somewhat similar, that is not a concern. I have several other Sitka pieces and like their quality, but have no experience with the MT050 rain equipment. Do any of you have any experiences or opinions on either? Thanks!

Dana

Have you looked at the Kuiu Chugach Pant and Jacket? They are about the same price as Sitka. The Toray material is the key and it's lighter. I recently got a set and have used it a couple times this spring while hiking in the rain and it’s amazing. The Vias Camo is unreal in the woods, you get out 50 – 75 yards and it’s hard to see. You can read more about it on Kuiu’s blog, this should be the link to the page with the Chugach details.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/page/5/

I've been using Cabela's Rain Suede for 8 years. Lighter and more quiet than MT050 and comes in my favorite camo pattern, Seclusion Open Country. My Rain Suede has been from Arizona to Alaska, heavy snow to down pouring rain, and never failed me. You do need to re-do the durable water repellant (DWR) every two years on any breathable rain gear if you use it a lot. I prefer bibs and a parka to be sure I have no gaps while sitting to glass.

Last edited:
I used the MT050 for about 12 years. Other than having to retreat the shell, to keep it from water logging, I never had an issue. I just sold my MT050 as I have a Kuiu Chugach set on the way.

I have mess with the downpour so I can't comment on it. The Cabelas was very packable as well.

I have the downpour, its really like it, when looking at rain gear you really have to be aware of the pros and cons of each, there really isnt a perfect peice of rain gear for every situation but there is perfect rain gear for certain situations. The Downpour gear is light weight, extremely packable, quiet and has full length zippers on the legs, its made with a gore-tex paclite membrane, its durable, and the face fabric is tough, but dont expect to be busting brush with it, or be wearing it everyday on a backcountry hunt, its just not made for that. Thats what the Stormfront line with 3 layer goretex was made for.

Also as stated already in here like the MT050 as well as the Downpour both have a brushed face fabric to keep it quiet, the advantages are obvious, but a strong disadvantage is that eventually the fabric does become saturated, becomes heavier and the breathability characteristics of the gore-tex are sacrificed, this general isnt a problem during day hunts because you always get a chance to dry out your gear at the end of the day, but on back pack hunt you dont always have that luxury, that being said I got rained, sleeted and snowed on for 3 days in a row in Wyoming this past year, I took advantage of the brief periods when there wasnt any precipitation to dry my gear in the wind.

3 layer gear like the Stormfront line and KUIU Chugach and alike, have the advantage of being more durable, but a little less packable and a little heavier. Stormfront and Chugach, both have hardshells, there not exactly quiet, but they shed water much better, all thats needed to dry them off is flipping the beaded up water off of them. Really the choice when your going to be abusive on your gear, in the brush or rocks, or be wearing your gear for a good majority of the time.

Sets of MT050 and Rain Suede here. Awesome packability. Bought the mt050 when it first came out. Never leave home without it. Refreshed with dwr, and the dryer....almost like new. The rain suede is nice too. (Cableas rep told me many years ago that it stays quieter when its colder, but the brushed fabric is pretty quiet regardless.)

I picked up a set of the Russell APXg2 L5 Cyclone rain gear and it is going to be a really good match for what I need in a set of rain gear. VERY lightweight and rolls up very compact. Just 2 layers with the quiet brushed fabric exterior. Got it on www.camofire.com for about 1/3rd of the price of a Sitka Downpour set. It's very comparable with the downpour in pretty much every other aspect, full length zippers on the pants, quality fabric, very nice hood, etc.

I currently don't have any trips planned to Kodiak or anything, but it is nice to be able to keep a set in my backpack on days when there is a decent chance of rain so I don't end up soaked.

I heard that stuff (russell apx) is really nice too. I was going to throw that out there for dana, but could not remember the name?

I picked up a set of the Russell APXg2 L5 Cyclone rain gear and it is going to be a really good match for what I need in a set of rain gear. VERY lightweight and rolls up very compact. Just 2 layers with the quiet brushed fabric exterior.

You make a great point - what someone needs in a set of rain gear. Buy for what you need, whether in rain gear, boots, packs, or whatever the product.

Got it on www.camofire.com for about 1/3rd of the price of a Sitka Downpour set. It's very comparable with the downpour in pretty much every other aspect, full length zippers on the pants, quality fabric, very nice hood, etc.

Not to be argumentative, but the components and membranes used in Russell is not comparable to any of the other high quality rain gear that use the top end membranes. Russell uses a lower quality WPB membrane.

Sitka, Arcteryx, Kuiu, and a few others are using the highest end PTFE membranes. That is where the cost comes in and where performance, durability, longevity, etc. come into play. We can argue all day about which characteristic(s) of the high-end membranes is/are the most important for certain types of hunting needs, but few would argue that there is a large difference between the cheaper low-end membranes and the highest quality membranes.

With that said, your first comment is paramount. Buy according to your needs and application - activity level, average temperatures, amount of rain you will experience, humidity level, etc.

I have a MT50 coat that I bought in 1999. I've treated it a couple times and it stays so-so dry at this point. But it reaks of mildew as soon as it does get wet.

No money in the budget this year for big purchases so I bought some Russel this spring, but have yet to use it. I guess the only consideration between the Russel and the MT50 is the weight. I weighed each set and the Russel was a little over a pound lighter than the MT50 for the set.

You make a great point - what someone needs in a set of rain gear. Buy for what you need, whether in rain gear, boots, packs, or whatever the product.

Not to be argumentative, but the components and membranes used in Russell is not comparable to any of the other high quality rain gear that use the top end membranes. Russell uses a lower quality WPB membrane.

Sitka, Arcteryx, Kuiu, and a few others are using the highest end PTFE membranes. That is where the cost comes in and where performance, durability, longevity, etc. come into play. We can argue all day about which characteristic(s) of the high-end membranes is/are the most important for certain types of hunting needs, but few would argue that there is a large difference between the cheaper low-end membranes and the highest quality membranes.

With that said, your first comment is paramount. Buy according to your needs and application - activity level, average temperatures, amount of rain you will experience, humidity level, etc.

What is the main difference in the membranes? Breathability?

The Russell website shows the WPB membrane at 10k/10k - I can't find anything on the Sitka website showing the rating on their membrane.

Thanks, Nathan

Now that I'm looking, I can't find the Downpour on their site anywhere. Just the Stormfront. Did they quit making the Downpour?

What is the main difference in the membranes? Breathability?

Thanks, Nathan

Yeah, for sure breathability, but also durability, windproofness, ability to subject to normal washing and drying cycles, how affected by chemicals (gas, diesel, bug dope, human oils, etc.), vapor transfer rates at high relative humidity, water entry pressure for areas of high pressures when sitting/knealing (knees, elbows, rear end), abrasion resistance, and a lot of other tests.

To expand on fabric ratings.

WATERPROOFING IN MM Overview
■0mm: obviously not waterproof in any way. Sieves, screen doors, basketball nets.
■0mm-1000mm: rain resistant, but not rainproof. Most stretch-woven softshells fall here.
■1000mm-5000mm: rainproof but not waterproof under pressure (sitting on or leaning against wet surfaces). Engineered (laminated) softshells, inexpensive rain shells, low-end ski and snowboard wear.
■5000mm-15,000mm: totally rainproof and generally waterproof unless under serious pressure (extended sitting, submersion, heavy people sitting). Most proprietary coatings (generally, liquid polyurethane coatings that become porous when applied to fabrics and cured) fall in this range.
■15,000mm-30,000mm: totally waterproof, even under serious pressure. High-end proprietary PU laminates, PTFE membranes. Can withstand shallow-depth submersion without leaking (fishing waders, drysuits for sailing).
■35,000mm and up: Solid vessels and non-porous materials. Will deform or fail catastrophically before leaking. Plastic bottles, rubber galoshes.

Well i'm not planning on using my raingear for waders so looks like the 10k rating on the Russell raingear should work fine for me.

I've given up on 'breathable' rain gear and purchased these last year.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_rampart_jacket.html

I've been out in a few rain storms in my 'back up' breathable stuff this summer, and again got soaked, even after re-treating it.

The OR stuff keeps me high and dry every time, and will be with me goat and sheep hunting this year, as well as fishing, and all other hunts.

Last edited:
Dang...great info all around!

Brudno: you should write a blog...awesome amount of info...appreciate it

npaden: I'm one of those 80 of so vying for the giveaway...can you see me holding my breath?!?

Dink: appreciate your input on the MT050...will keep me from it...stinky just like the Columbia I'm replacing

Big Fin: to your point; I will buy what "best" suits my needs...thats the Sitka Downpour. The majority of my time this year will be spent in the midwest whitetail woods....not often in the rain. Should I have a sheep/goat tag in my pocket, I would have to give some real consideration to the KUIU Chugach suggested...for the money, it's very compelling against the comparable 3 layer Sitka alternative. However my hunts this year so far consist of WY antelope in Sept, moose in Maine Oct, whitetail and waterfowl here in MO in Nov and whitetail in Iowa in Dec...hopefully a CO otc elk rifle sqweezed in there somehow... that being said, most of the time I will not be in a torential rain for extended periods of time most likely and place alot of value on the packability on the raingear while wanting it to perform as best as possible if called upon.

Again, thanks guys! Great input all around!

Back