pack saw help please

okie archer

Could anyone please recommend a good saw for cutting off skull plate of an elk. The smallest, lightweight, compact, sharpest???

I've always had good luck with my Wyoming Saw.

Qiwiz Little Buck Saw

I'm trying a Qiwiz Little Buck Saw out this coming August on a fly-in caribou hunt. It's not a hunting company. He runs it as a small cottage business and is an ultralight hiker, but said he has had guys turn his saws into pack saws for just this purpose. I had to replace the blade with a bone saw blade (used a replacement Wyoming saw blade) and do some modifications to it because I couldn't find a 14" bone saw blade. Full disclosure: I have not tried this out on bone so it could be a dud, but it looked better than trying to make a little 5" blade work. The link is below.
http://qiwiz.net/saws.html

I've also been using the Wyoming saw and really like it, as it comes with bone and wood blades for $35 with a carry case from Cabelas. The blades are 11 1/8" long, the handle is ergonomically designed, and the whole works only weighs 18 ozs. for such a well built, sturdy saw. I usually leave it at the truck and take it in to a carcass on the way back in after the first trip out with a load. That way I'm not carrying around that weight until I actually need it to cut off legs and the rack of an animal.

Last edited:
Wyoming saw is always with me. Mine is at least 35 yrs old. One time I had to use the tree blade to get out of my hunting camp one time.

Last edited:
I use this Gerber bone saw;

http://parisfranceinc.com/portfolio/gerberblades/products/view.php?model=2706

the blade slides up in the handle, it is very lightweight. It is not as sturdy as the Wyoming saw but is much lighter and more compact, you just have to go slow when cutting off the skull plate of an elk. And I also use it to cut tree branches etc. when I'm bowhunting, so I always carry it with me.

They also make a folding version with 2 types of blades you can swap. I have both types, but like this one better.

i use a Griz Saw from outdoor edge? i like it better for backpacking, i have a Wyoming saw but it seldom goes anywhere now.

C

I use a Gerber. I only need it to split the pelvis, and the get the antlers off if needed. Legs come off with a knife if you know what you are doing. mtmuley

I use an older folding Gerber that comes with a blade for bone and an extra for wood. I mostly do gutless method now but still carry it. I generally pack out the whole skull with the antlers for a euro mount, and I can easily take of the last vertebrae with a knife. I also take the hind quarters at the ball joint with a knife so I don't split the pelvis on gutless. I use the saw to cut through the backbone just after the last rib to lift up and get out the tenderloins. I could do that part with a knife but it's a bit faster and easier with a saw. I might use the saw to open the brisket to get the heart out if I feel like some heart for dinner.

The Gerber saw I use comes apart easy to clean and I use a wooden kabob skewer from the kitchen to get the blade recess clean on the handle.

Wyoming saw going on 15 years now. Works great in the field and I use it at home too during processing.

while i have a few from before i stopped buying gerber saws. 4 or 5 years ago a buddy had a saw blade snap and slash his wrist and fore arm real badly. luckily he was near his truck and had his wife with him so she quickly got him to emergency room and got it stiched up. while i think its isolated and rare i just couldnt imagin it happing in the tha backcountry solo...BAD so i just dont buy tham anymore.

C

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=261698&referrerid=20127

I thought this was a good suggestion, but I haven't tried it yet.

A game saw -This is of course personal preference, but I’ve been through a pile of saws from folding, to knap style, to Wyoming style. What I’ve found to be my favorite is a small 14” Stanley handsaw. It fits great in the pack right against my back, and works slick as hell for all sorts of tasks, such as cutting wood, or antler extraction. It weighs next to nothing and is the best I’ve found for my intended purpose. On extended hunts which include big animals I always take a saw. For a deer or sheep hunt I rarely take a one.
from Bambistew

I own a Gerber folding saw and a Wyoming Guide saw. The Guide saw is a bit longer model than the standard Wyoming saw. The Wyoming saw is in my game retrieval gear for this purpose. It's a clever design and has held up a couple decades. My only gripe is if you lose a wing nut or bolt in the snow, you're left with handful of useless parts. The Gerber goes in my fanny pack for short deer and pronghorn hunts. I carry a hatchet in my day pack when hunting elk, not a saw. More versatile, durable in a pinch IMO.

I'm suprised no one mentioned a saws-all! Obviously it's only good when you have electricity. I usually keep my skulls for european mounts to keep the entire saw.

Back