MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pack Frames

fowladdict

Can anyone suggest a good pack frame for packing out game. What do you use when you hike in with minimal gear and then have to hike out with game on the way out. Where did you get yours and what did it cost?

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

If you plan on using the pack for packing camp in and out and for moving dead animals around, then any good quality welded aluminum pack is good. For years I used a Camp Trails pack and packed out a heck of a lot of meat in it (hence that stink). It had a lifetime guarantee, and they've made good on it twice.

If you're looking to bivouc hunt then that takes you to a different market. Kifaru's Longhunter is very good, and it handles the heavy packs out with camp and meat (hence that stink) very well. But they are pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. Its a quality piece of equipment backed with a lifetime warranty. If the price tag is prohibitive, I'd look at the Dwight Schuh pack system.

I've had the same Cabela's Alaskan II since 1991, which is basically a Camp Trails Moose Freighter frame with a Cabela's pack bag. This pack can hold more weight than you can carry. In 14 years, I've modified the frame a bit, repaced a few grommets and pins, and stitched the occasional seam, but otherwise the pack is still in great shape despite having been dropped off a cliff and bounced down a couple mountainsides (not all at once and not on purpose). For the money they're hard to beat.

I also have a Dwight Shuh pack. Its fine for medium loads but I wish it was more adjustable and it wasn't fleece. When its wet, the fleece holds water which adds weight. Plus, over the years the Realtree camo bled out and now the browns have turned the pack pinkish but otherwise its in good shape. Under load this pack is not nearly as comfortable as the AK II.

I bought a Badlands 2800 this year and tried it out on my Kodiak deer hunt. For an internal frame pack it held a 70# load of deer meat and gear securely which is important. It helps you maintain your center of gravity and thus your balance when moving over/through rough terrain. Also, its unique design made for easy loading, and it was comfortable to carry.

For your question of how much minimal gear to carry, well...it depends. Are you talking day trip, over night, or week long hunt? After adjusting my clothes to the season I carry the following:

-For a day trip I carry 2 knives, snacks/water, a med kit, a fire starter kit, a map and compass, 100 feet of 550 cord, babywipes, 20 feet of duct tape, 2 30 gallon trash bags, and 1 pillow case sized game bag for every 60 lbs I expect to hump out.

-For overnighters I add a sleeping bag and bivy bag, a water filter and some extra food and spare socks.

-For multi-day trips I add a sleeping pad, a backpacking stove+fuel, 1 pot, 1 spoon, 1 cup, a collapsible water jug (for camp), 1 extra set of long underwear, 1 pair socks per day, tylenol, extra food per day, a toothbrush, floss, and I carry a tent instead of the bivy bag. My med kit contains sewing stuff.

Bring extra glasses if you wear them.

Thanks for the info guys. I got quite the giftcard to sportsmans and I'd like to invest in a good pack.

Erik-
you seem to have used several different brands. What would be your suggestion to material type? Fleece seems like it would be comfortable, but doesn't seem to make much sense since it would absorb sweat and any other moisture.

I've also got the Eberlestock "just one" and really like it. I bought the spike camp duffel to go with it which makes it handy if you are packing in somewhere. The duffle fits right inside the main compartment and when you get to camp you just toss it in the tent and zip the pack back into a day pack and your ready to go. I have the J104 model but the newer J105 has some improved features that in my opinion are big improvements over the J104 (adjustable shoulder harness and more rigid internal framework.) Check them out at Sportsmans, they're a pretty well thought out pack.

I have several packs (I'm kind of a gear junkie). Each has its place.

Decide what you want to do and what you want the pack to do and then get the pack thats best suited to that style of hunting. Waterproof Microfleece type material is great for a daypack, especially if you're sneaking through brush. There are several really good internal frame packs out there, many of which I have not tried (Kifaru, Eberlestock for example). For big loads I happen to prefer external frames, but you may not.

As far as material...its tough to beat Cordura but any rugged nylon will do. Look for heavy duty zippers and reinforced stitching, especially at stress points.

The best advice I can offer is make sure you load any packs you try out in the store. ALL packs are comfortable when empty so use at least 50# of weight to get a true feel for how the pack will fit you in the field. Adjust it as if you own it, load it up and try it on. Bounce around a bit--shift side to side--try to shake the pack loose.

How secure does it hold the load and how secure does it hold itself to you? Did the buckles and straps slip during your jiggle test? How easy is it to adjust when worn? How easy is it to access your stuff once its loaded? Does it have the minimum features you require?

You can use a place like REI as a hands-on catalog for a wide variety of packs although their selection of "hunting" packs is basically nil. Sportsmans can be a good source if you can find an employee who hunts out of a pack. You may end up taking the hunting pack over to the camping dept for their help with the fit.

Backpack hunting is liberating because you can literally go anywhere you can walk. You can and most often will have places all to yourself, even in heavily hunted units.

What Idaho Elk Hunter and Elkay Said....Bullpac's are awsome wide straps are great more supports and comfortable...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back