Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

PA turkey

dwm4375

Filled my PA spring turkey tag this morning before work. Didn't hear any gobblers off the roost, but did have a hen land within 10 yards of me and walk out the trail within 5 yards. A second hen also walked within 5-10 yards at my first location. About 6:30 stood up to head back in, but saw a gobbler strutting in the field blocking my way. He was 250 yards away, and right between me and my golf cart. I snuck along in the woods and set up on the edge about 100 yards closer.

I watched the gobbler strutting in the field, and counted about 10 hens and jakes with him. Around 7:30 he followed a hen into the woods, and the rest of the group fed along in my direction while I called sparingly. Shot the biggest jake at 35 yards, and left him there while I got my wife and our 2 boys.

The boys enjoyed seeing Daddy's turkey, although I think the golf cart ride was more fun. My English Springer was also quite interested in what I brought home. Had to get this hunt in while I could - 3rd boy will probably be born before turkey season is over. He's scheduled to be induced on May 29, which is my late grandfather's birthday. He was the original turkey hunter in the family, and I used his slate call to call in yet another bird.

Excellent! I love using momentos and hand-me-downs in the field to help memorialize the adventures.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back