Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

PA lunch break turkey

dwm4375

Thought I'd share my story of the shortest turkey hunt ever. My wife and I had a baby boy (our second) about 2 months ago, so I hadn't been out turkey hunting this spring and wasn't planning on it. Today I went home at lunch to let my dogs out, and heard a lot of gobbling in the field about 400 yards behind my house. I put the dogs away, grabbed my stuff, and walked out almost to the field edge. I sat down and called a few times, and about 10-15 minutes later I shot the first jake to come by. I think there was a gobbler with the group (of about 6 birds), but I'm happy and thankful to take the first opportunity.

I've hunted every morning for weeks some years and not got a bird, so it was pretty cool to have everything come together so well today. I'm glad I decided to give it a shot!

Dan

Amazing how simple it goes down sometimes. No matter how it happens it's an adventure.

I see it as your reward for putting your family first when you needed to :) Great job on both!!

I shot a jake this past Saturday and would take one every year hunting these high pressured birds of PA. Congrats!

Semper Fi to you also, big28. I was USMC artillery from 2003-2007.

Another nice aspect of my hunt is that was another bird fooled by my late grandfather's slate call. He shot a turkey in PA every spring and every fall for 10 years straight, among other hunting accomplishments. His slate call is still my go-to call, and his orange jacket gets taken out each year in deer season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back