Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ozark Spoonbill snagging

isu22andy

Has anyone ever done it ? Talking Lake of the Ozarks MO . Buddy and I are thinking of pulling the lund down and trying it . . Any advice tips experience ?

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is to head up towards Warsaw- fish run up river, and that's as far as they can go. Depth finders, side scan, etc. Fish stay near the bottom for the most part, so make sure your gear is down there. They might be hanging on the inside bend, just out of the current.

Never done it, but I've talked a lot of people that have- used to spend several weeks in Camdenton/Laurie every summer. Be sure to take a file for your hooks, and make sure they are sticky sharp every single cast. Good luck!

Never done it in the ozarks but I’ve done it below the dams on the Mississippi River. Holy cow is it a work out! But it’s fun as hell when you hook into one!

We were gonna start at mile marker 60 and see what we can find. If we have to make the trek to Warsaw we will . Don’t know what to expect . Got 30 hooks and 2 dozen weights . Hope that’s enough for the weekend !

Last edited:
Make sure you send pics I love catching those things. Truly a badass fish.

Best advice I can give is to head up towards Warsaw- fish run up river, and that's as far as they can go. Depth finders, side scan, etc. Fish stay near the bottom for the most part, so make sure your gear is down there. They might be hanging on the inside bend, just out of the current.

Never done it, but I've talked a lot of people that have- used to spend several weeks in Camdenton/Laurie every summer. Be sure to take a file for your hooks, and make sure they are sticky sharp every single cast. Good luck!
All solid advice! Once you figure out where they are and the right depth it's not to hard. Keep a eye on your fish finder they show up well.20170325_102858_1490460196920.jpg20170325_095521_1490460196850_1543110867029.jpg

What do they do with the roe down that way? Do they process it to caviar? It seems I’ve only ever seen the roe processed at Intake and over in North Dakota. Was a real interesting job to have. In the couple years I did it we made roughly 3000lbs of caviar as it was the predicted high harvest of females coming up river to spawn for the first time. I found it interesting that it was able to predicted that well 20 years earlier.

I live at lake. Grew up in Warsaw which is where lake of the ozarks starts. There’s a reason it’s called the spoonbill capital of the world. I’ve only snagged once won’t probably go again. Didn’t enjoy it. Right now the lake is very low, due to hydroelectric production during the cold snap a few weeks ago. I would definitely focus on Warsaw area but there are guys that have success around Laurie.

I have a place on the lake at the 65 mile marker. Would suggest waiting a couple weeks as the snagging is usually better a little later. Seems odd but but for some reason I have better luck when the water level is higher, don’t seem right but thats my opinion after about 15 yrs of fishing for them. The later in the season the closer to Warsaw you are the better you are. I mainly fish between the 60 & 70 mile marker, mainly because I know the lake really well through there. Be really careful traveling the lake on that end because there are shallow places where you wouldn’t expect them especially early in the year.

I have a place on the lake at the 65 mile marker. Would suggest waiting a couple weeks as the snagging is usually better a little later. Seems odd but but for some reason I have better luck when the water level is higher, don’t seem right but thats my opinion after about 15 yrs of fishing for them. The later in the season the closer to Warsaw you are the better you are. I mainly fish between the 60 & 70 mile marker, mainly because I know the lake really well through there. Be really careful traveling the lake on that end because there are shallow places where you wouldn’t expect them especially early in the year.
Thanks . Any advice on where to go early ? I work in the agriculture industry in Iowa so April may is my busy season unfortunately. We will be Shouldn’t have any troubles with a 17 foot deep V Lund should we ???

Last edited:
Whats the water level like later in the season? Faster moving and more turbid?

I think wig wam is at about the 67mm. Start there and go down stream. Your bout will be great but unless the lake comes up there will be places you can run aground. when are you heading down.

I think wig wam is at about the 67mm. Start there and go down stream. Your bout will be great but unless the lake comes up there will be places you can run aground. when are you heading down.
Friday morning .

Last edited:
I’ll look for your rig as right now until I’m done remodeling I am staying in a condo in Laurie. Eat at chances R they have prime rib or all you can eat shrimp as specials on Friday and Saturday nights.

Thanks . Any advice on where to go early ? I work in the agriculture industry in Iowa so April may is my busy season unfortunately. We will be putting in the boat at Wigwam . Shouldn’t have any troubles with a 17 foot deep V Lund should we ???
I've fished that area quite a bit. Wigwam is a tough put in at this time of year when the Lake is low. It's shallow with lots of rocks right off the ramp. If I were you I'd put in at Turkey Trot. You are closer to some good snagging areas from there.

I’ll look for your rig as right now until I’m done remodeling I am staying in a condo in Laurie. Eat at chances R they have prime rib or all you can eat shrimp as specials on Friday and Saturday nights

look for 3 clue less Iowans in a Brand new Chevy 3/4 ton silver in color pulling a Lund boat . Staying at the Lake House In .

I've fished that area quite a bit. Wigwam is a tough put in at this time of year when the Lake is low. It's shallow with lots of rocks right off the ramp. If I were you I'd put in at Turkey Trot. You are closer to some good snagging areas from there.
Wheres Turkey Trot ? I cant find it in a google search.

Back